[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Shearwater Message Board - View topic - VBS.com

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 VBS.com 

Have you folks ever heard of ? It's a spin-off site from Vice magazine/website . Spike Jones & Co. got together some documentary film makers (not sure if it was post creation of VBS.com) and sent them into some of the most dangerous and IMO curious, war torn countries. Alternative perspectives and methods portrayed by the film makers are those of which I can relate. These guys get into some intense situations where they hang with soldiers and protesters, dodge bullets, take tours that lead to major culture shock, etc. and all the while, except for some harrowing predicaments, have a seemingly laissez faire journalistic approach. Amidst some of the heartbreaking images are some of the most heartwarming. I guess I'm posting this, because it's how I think "the news" should be reported, at least in part. Also, I couldn't help but to think how unlikely that a woman could do the same kind of guerrilla journalism with similar relative safety. These guys are filling a vicarious niche for me.

Anyway, here are the links. Another reason I'm posting this is because I was trying to make sense of the craziness currently going on in the heart of the Middle East and the info in these films made some things clear for me. So, if you have had trouble keeping straight which rebel groups are in which war torn country, these documentaries designed for those of us with short attentions spans really may help put things in order. I also learned about cultural stuff that I've never seen anywhere else.

Israel:
Beirut:
Afghanistan:

Not in the Middle East but just as fascinating:

North Korea:

08 Jan 2009 08:19
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]