Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Snow Storms 

The U.S. has been hit pretty hard with them for the past week, and I have to say, I couldn't be happier about it! Even with the recent ice storm, it's still beautiful, and nothing beats taking a walk during a snow storm.

24 Dec 2008 22:04
Profile WWW

Couldn't agree more. I couldn't sleep last night, nestled in the deep forest that surrounds my parents' house. Took a walk at 3:45 am. Saw a coyote, a screech owl, and many, many trees swaying in the very forceful wind.

All illuminated by the ambient reflection off of snow.

25 Dec 2008 23:05
Profile WWW

Yeah, I took a walk at about 7 at night, which by me is pretty dark, so I had to watch out for cars. But it was all so majestic, with the snow falling down, and the music playing through my headphones. I actually did alot of stuff I haven't done since I was a kid, like catching snowflakes on my tongue and climbing stuff. Thank god that Corduroys are so warm, too. I actually should have some pictures I took of that.

On a side note, was anyone here effected by the ice storms? We got hit pretty hard, and tons of old trees fell over everywhere, which was practically heart-breaking to listen to at night, with the snapping going off in the darkness. A lot of houses in the area didn't have power for at least a week, and they declared a state of emergency all over.

26 Dec 2008 19:03
Profile WWW

I'm jealous of your winter weather. Not necessarily snow and ice storms, but today it was in the high 70s and grossly humid where I live. :(

26 Dec 2008 21:32

Though I would love a white Christmas, or at least some snow during December, I did not like the ice we had a couple of weeks ago. Did any of that make it down to Austin? I didn't see how far it went. The problem with having things like snow and ice is that most Texans don't know how to drive on it (at least in North East Texas). The Tuesday we had all the ice there were (I think) over hundred wrecks. It was pretty awful. Christmas, however, was warm and sunny. I almost switched from a three-quater sleeve sweater into a short sleeve t-shirt. Oh well, it's Texas, that's how it is down here. :wink:

27 Dec 2008 13:37

We get snow flurries once or twice a year in central Georgia and I am sure to be out it in. Kids in the south are so awed and overjoyed anytime they see snow. I wish there were enough to go sledding.

I love going to visit family in Ohio for Christmas. The Toledo area has a white Christmas about 75% of the time, including this year. But I prefer snow at 30 deg rather than snow and ice at -2 deg. The iced trees I saw on the drive up were amazing. But the iced roads I tried to drive back to Georgia on yesterday - eeek! Traffic was going about 15 mph on the interstate, so I got off and spent an extra day up north. My sister's pipes froze, which created a real problem when her dog banged his head on my chin, causing me to bite through my lip, and there was no water to wash the blood down the drain.

27 Dec 2008 20:49

This is the first white christmas we've had in upstate New York in a few years, so I'm thankful so long as they keep coming.

29 Dec 2008 13:59
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]