[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Shearwater Message Board - View topic - Very interesting list - should be required reading!

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Very interesting list - should be required reading! 

http://www.projectcensored.org/top-stor ... ry/y-2009/

All the news that doesn't "fit". Expect to hear no discussion of any of these in the next four weeks...

(btw if Palin winks at me again I'm going to reach through the TV and strangle her).

J

04 Oct 2008 15:22
Profile WWW

Project Censored is incredible. Even so, I often forget to read :oops:

Thanks for the reminder.

Re: Palin's lash-batting: last night the group of students & Head Count people who do voter registration at the venue where I work were discussing themed costumes for their upcoming Halloween Don't-Forget-to-Turn-in-Your-Ballots Campus Walk. When candidate costumes and issues were suggested as the obvious theme, they each began winking and doing her laugh, in turn. It was rather disturbing.

05 Oct 2008 03:21
Profile YIM WWW

What continually bugs me about the debates is that Palin and McCain keep implying that Ahmadinejad is the heighest power in Iran, when in fact he's not.
But not off topic, Project censored is a great thing, if more people read stuff like this we'd all be much more informed, but the again, why would most of us want to be?

05 Oct 2008 10:12
Profile WWW

Re #15: There is a documentary (ok, it's a "rockumentary" but I feel like a goof saying that) out October 10 called Call and Response drawing attention to the worldwide slavery issue. Check your local theatres.

And the promo at michaelpalinforpresident.com makes his credentials look -sadly - more credible than Sarah Palin's

p.s. this is my first post - hi everyone!

05 Oct 2008 14:27

thanks for the link J. i'm always looking for new sources of alternative news. here are some other links, if you don't know about them already.

(a favorite)

and here are a couple a really interesting interviews with my boy, christian parenti. this guy really tells it like it is.

his dad is the renowned michael parenti, who you should also check out.

c. parenti is cool, b/c he reports for sources other than journals like the nation. he also writes for conde nast and playboy. which reminds me, that's what i like about the articles in project sensored. the researchers are students, which bring a different perspective to the table other than if the articles were written by the traditional journalist. looking forward to reading these artilces more thoroughly.

06 Oct 2008 18:54

one more parenti video

06 Oct 2008 19:18

The number one story, of course, is the number of dead Iraqis.

Although it is not about a similar conflict, the movie, "The Grave of The Fireflies," has an emotional power that transcends differences in context.

As does W. G. Sebald's "On The Natural History of Destruction." A book laced with complication and controversy but also an incredible document about civilians in war.

(There are, of course, many books specifically about the Iraqi experience, but to me, a bit of temporal distance from a conflict sometimes can yield something more likely to sneak in an empathetic reaction--I need to know about what is happening in Iraq, but to my admitted shame I can only let bits in at a time).

10 Oct 2008 15:32
Profile WWW

I'm glad that the number one story is something we don't like to admit in America: our negative impact on the world. My biggest problem with the coverage of the war, besides the sloppy reporting leading up to the start, is that, unless it's within a positive, spin-inducing context, the lives and hardships of ordinary Iraqis are rarely mentioned, besides obligatory daily death tolls, which are even then undershot. I would have loved (in some context of that word) to have heard about what it was like to live in chaos, in a live warzone, years after our mission had been ''accomplished''. But now the only stories they run are on how great the invasion has been for Iraq, regardless of a million or so dead.
And another good "alternative" media source would have the be www.indymedia.org . It's pretty reliable, I'd say, and they offer unique perspectives on the issues.

12 Oct 2008 11:46
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]