Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 lyric perfection 

Today at work I was listening to Shearwater and reading about eradication programs for neglected tropical diseases. As I was looking at a photograph of a group of men with elephantiasis (which is exactly what is sounds like - their legs are swollen and crusty so they resemble those of an elephant) sitting in a row, looking into the camera, JMs voice echoed in my ears

And God saved his hardest face for you, and all your kind.
That's what's troubling me.

The melding of the image and lyric was overwhelming. I don’t know if I’ve ever been so affected by a lyric that didn’t involve some sort of selfish desire of my own, and I have certainly never put so concrete a face to words being sung. Nor have I put so eloquent a description to what so many people suffer. What was a typical part of my day was elevated by this synchronicity/synergy (maybe one of you wordsmiths out there knows a better word for this).

18 Feb 2009 20:47

I think those are perfect words, Cruzichick. Although, another word I might use, which has nothing to do with the word "synchronicity," but often incorporates the concept, is "cledon."

I can imagine what an overwhelming occurrence that must have been for you. I find it incredibly interesting when things like that are noticed.

Shearwater often seems to be the message's method of choice when I have these kinds of experiences. I think there's something to that...

20 Feb 2009 03:08
Profile YIM WWW

Mhm. Something similar to this occurred last year when, as trying to fall asleep, I heard the "Close upon a world..." line from The Hunter's Star. And, this being a time when I was also thinking about alot of environmental destruction/global warming/human stuff, it just...I don't know, but the whole moment, with the help of the music, is now ingrained into my memory. It elevated itself from forgetfulness because of the impact the music had on me. And, seeing as how the earth is still an important thing to me (though isn't it to all of us?), how secular I've become in recent years, the lyrics of Jonathan really help to piece together what I believe in. If this makes any sense at all.

20 Feb 2009 14:59
Profile WWW

It seems to me that Shearwater's music is more extraspective than introspective, which may be more likely to inspire and enhance our relationship with the world around us. It's also interesting that these things often occur when we are only half-listening to the music, as if attentiveness is a barrier to insight. And it is impressive how JM's music can affect us so without having that as its design (at least from what I've heard him say about the inspirations and origins of his songs). What a gift.

Last edited by cruzichick on 04 Mar 2009 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

22 Feb 2009 19:56

I'm having a shitty day today (sick, school sucks, computer problems) and I was listening to the new Boy Least Likely To album on the way home when I noticed the lyric "there's not a whole lot you can do with lemons except make them into lemonade". I'm not quite sure what my lemonade is at the moment, but it did remind me once again that there's no sense in wallowing - at least not too much. Man I love those guys. I found it even more affecting because despite their peppy, upbeat sound, the lyrics are usually extremely dark. It was a nice change to hear something from them where the lyrical themes actually matched the bouncing banjo.

23 Feb 2009 18:47
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]