[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Shearwater Message Board - View topic - CERN!

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 CERN! 

Didn't see a post on this yet. Has anyone seen this? It is supposed to start at 3:30am EST. There is probably no way I will be up at that hour, but hopefully someone will put it on YouTube. There is a brief article on NYT: . I have been avoiding news lately, so I was completely shocked when my professor brought it up in class tonight. For anyone who cares, it wasn't a physics class, though it is science related.
It's called Cognitive and Neural Modeling Lab; it's an introduction to artificial neural networks.

09 Sep 2008 22:05

I finally read a newspaper today(it's been busy at the circus...literally) and an article about the LHC was in it. I find it really fascinating, and cannot wait to hear how it affects current particle theories.
I think I read some of the scientists/people involved were receiving death threats by those who think the machine may generate a apocalyptic effect.
Which we will find out in about an hour...or a couple weeks from now when the first beams are expected to collide. I did not get a chance to read much on how they are confident on safety, does anyone know what they did to test it?

10 Sep 2008 01:39

Of conCERN: I believe the closet empirical test was that of mixing tequila and cylume lights in a blender, then consuming the results and measuring the halation effects over several evenings at the local bar. No real issues of concern were noted as long as a DD (Designated Diverter) was chaperoning the events. Stochastic models found that negative effects were localized only in the minds of the participants once it was found that there were still missing links in the Standard Model, aka the Hugely Underrated Negatron Generation Of Variously Related Enigmas (HUNGOVER). 10 to 1 says were still here tomorrow. Take two. Call me in the morning;>)

10 Sep 2008 15:42

opps- make that "...Of Various Enigmas Relevant" This always happens on this stuff. Hey, anybody got any more Fremilab Joy Juice in their cubicle???

10 Sep 2008 15:48

I keep being told to worry about this, but I see no reason to. I suppose it's just belief vs. belief, where one is more backed up than the other, and neither really knows what's going to happen. The amount of knowledge we'll likely gain from this will be incredible, though, I bet.

10 Sep 2008 17:13
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]