Shearwater Message Board
http://board.shearwatermusic.com/

Backyard birds (vol. 2)
http://board.shearwatermusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1984
Page 2 of 3

Author:  steph [ 22 May 2009 19:08 ]
Post subject:  Re: Backyard birds (vol. 2)

It's not exactly my backyard, but since there wasn't a "birds at work" thread...

When I first moved here (Melbourne, Australia), I caught the end of a story on TV about a pair of peregrine falcons in the CBD. The previous inhabitants at the site had died after eating illegally poisoned pigeons, and it was a big deal that the nest was inhabited again, finally, and that there were chicks.

I didn't catch where, exactly they were nesting, and had mostly forgotten about it until a few months ago. My company moved offices, and I found myself with a front row cubicle, right across the street and just a few floors down from the nest - basically at perfect height for that initial swoop.

Needless to say, the times that they are most active might not be my most productive, and I'm not the only one who stops to say "look look look!" when they go speeding by the windows.

Sorry, no photos of my own, but there is a short article about them here.

Author:  Storm and Static [ 30 May 2009 17:26 ]
Post subject:  Re: Backyard birds (vol. 2)

I've been seeing lots of Mourning Doves this year. A good year for them? Perhaps, like for Blackbirds last year.

Author:  Cedric [ 30 May 2009 22:46 ]
Post subject:  Re: Backyard birds (vol. 2)

Storm and Static wrote:
I've been seeing lots of Mourning Doves this year. A good year for them? Perhaps, like for Blackbirds last year.


hm, I haven't noticed many out here. I've heard a few, certainly don't see many.
When I was little I always thought it was Morning Doves, they always come out in the mornings right? :P

Author:  Cedric [ 01 Jun 2009 23:57 ]
Post subject:  Re: Backyard birds (vol. 2)

Here's a great link - love the pictures from NGM - I wish I could say they were my backyard birds.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/wallpaper/img/2009/04/apr09wallpaper-21_1280.jpg

Author:  Ruj [ 07 Jun 2009 15:33 ]
Post subject:  Re: Backyard birds (vol. 2)

These are not photos of my backyard birds, but I think you folks will appreciate the links.

First I came across this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjPUfGm1XjU

Quote:
Kitundu is a, sound/visual artist, graphic designer, composer and instrument builder. He uses an interdisciplinary approach to develop compositions-installations-instruments that blur the boundaries between media.


Then I came across his bird blog!!

http://www.kitundu.com/birdlightwind/index.html

Author:  Cedric [ 08 Jun 2009 11:54 ]
Post subject:  Re: Backyard birds (vol. 2)

Ruj wrote:
These are not photos of my backyard birds, but I think you folks will appreciate the links.

First I came across this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjPUfGm1XjU

Quote:
Kitundu is a, sound/visual artist, graphic designer, composer and instrument builder. He uses an interdisciplinary approach to develop compositions-installations-instruments that blur the boundaries between media.


Then I came across his bird blog!!

http://www.kitundu.com/birdlightwind/index.html


absolutely amazing! those instruments are spectacular.

And he likes birds? :P

Author:  candy [ 08 Jun 2009 16:18 ]
Post subject:  Re: Backyard birds (vol. 2)

This is not exactly my backyard, but it's quite funny anyway. I saw the Shearwater concert in Gothenburg, in a very small venue. So... when Shearwater eventually get big enough to play the huge arena in Gothenburg, they may well have a couple of Eurasian Eagle-owls watching the show. There is a couple of these birds who have decided that the Ullevi sports and music arena is a perfect place to live:

http://www.gotevent.se/uvar/default.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxBNkfsRLRI

Author:  Ruj [ 09 Jun 2009 22:27 ]
Post subject:  Re: Backyard birds (vol. 2)

Cedric wrote:
And he likes birds? :P

Yeah, he's pretty cool. Livin' the dream....what a great combo: music, art, science and birds.

Author:  special___K [ 10 Jun 2009 16:39 ]
Post subject:  Re: Backyard birds (vol. 2)

candy wrote:
This is not exactly my backyard, but it's quite funny anyway. I saw the Shearwater concert in Gothenburg, in a very small venue. So... when Shearwater eventually get big enough to play the huge arena in Gothenburg, they may well have a couple of Eurasian Eagle-owls watching the show. There is a couple of these birds who have decided that the Ullevi sports and music arena is a perfect place to live:

http://www.gotevent.se/uvar/default.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxBNkfsRLRI



That's really funny! And they really put up a webcam... And with the announcement that they will upgrade to a realtime stream if they have eggs...


And, this isn't exactly my backyard either, but after seeing Shearwater at Mallorca I felt inspired to look out for birds on the beach and took a few shots :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38540220@N ... 564881880/

I really don't have any clue about birds, so what is the little one?

Author:  resettheyears [ 10 Jun 2009 23:05 ]
Post subject:  Re: Backyard birds (vol. 2)

special___K wrote:
And, this isn't exactly my backyard either, but after seeing Shearwater at Mallorca I felt inspired to look out for birds on the beach and took a few shots :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38540220@N ... 564881880/

I really don't have any clue about birds, so what is the little one?


Nice photos!
I know very few birds, but I think that is a sparrow.

Author:  sea [ 11 Jun 2009 05:36 ]
Post subject:  Re: Backyard birds (vol. 2)

yeah, i thought so, too, they look like slim versions of the chubby sparrows that always came begging for french fries at the local mcdonalds, when we were skipping school and hanging there, ten years back. :lol:

Author:  la1itree [ 07 Jul 2009 18:52 ]
Post subject:  Re: Backyard birds (vol. 2)

We just moved to a new house just over a week ago, and since then I've seen a small raptor hanging around in the backyard. Today after work I was out filling the bird feeders and noticed there were two of them, either hanging around together or battling for position. I got my camera and a tele lens and took this:

Image

(Here's a big size)

Author:  Cedric [ 07 Jul 2009 20:58 ]
Post subject:  Re: Backyard birds (vol. 2)

la1itree wrote:
We just moved to a new house just over a week ago, and since then I've seen a small raptor hanging around in the backyard. Today after work I was out filling the bird feeders and noticed there were two of them, either hanging around together or battling for position. I got my camera and a tele lens and took this:

Image

(Here's a big size)


spectacular!
thanks for sharing

Author:  la1itree [ 08 Jul 2009 17:59 ]
Post subject:  Re: Backyard birds (vol. 2)

Tonight there are at least three of them -- I think there's a nest somewhere on the neighbor's property. They're making a big ol' racket, sounds like giant squeaky dog toys interspersed with more hawk-like shrieks.

Author:  Christel [ 08 Jul 2009 20:30 ]
Post subject:  Re: Backyard birds (vol. 2)

As I came here to read about the hawks, two very small, very young sparrows just dropped onto my AC unit. Literally dropped. :shock: I can't get to them for obvious reasons (4th floor, wheelchair, the other window doesn't open, etc.), but only one is chirping--rather frantically, it seems--and they seem a little downy for so late in the year. The other seems ok, but the loud one may be injured. :(

Injured wildlife wrecks me.

Plus, I have a mental picture of nasty little kids knocking them off of the roof or an upper balcony... :cry:

Page 2 of 3 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/