Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Backyard birds (vol. 2) 
Author Message

Joined: 20 Oct 2006 05:11
Posts: 6
Location: melbourne
It's not exactly my backyard, but since there wasn't a "birds at work" thread...

When I first moved here (Melbourne, Australia), I caught the end of a story on TV about a pair of peregrine falcons in the CBD. The previous inhabitants at the site had died after eating illegally poisoned pigeons, and it was a big deal that the nest was inhabited again, finally, and that there were chicks.

I didn't catch where, exactly they were nesting, and had mostly forgotten about it until a few months ago. My company moved offices, and I found myself with a front row cubicle, right across the street and just a few floors down from the nest - basically at perfect height for that initial swoop.

Needless to say, the times that they are most active might not be my most productive, and I'm not the only one who stops to say "look look look!" when they go speeding by the windows.

Sorry, no photos of my own, but there is a short article about them here.


22 May 2009 19:08
Profile

Joined: 08 Sep 2008 19:25
Posts: 201
Location: Geneseo
I've been seeing lots of Mourning Doves this year. A good year for them? Perhaps, like for Blackbirds last year.

_________________
-Rob


30 May 2009 17:26
Profile WWW

Joined: 09 Nov 2008 13:14
Posts: 157
Location: San Diego, CA
Storm and Static wrote:
I've been seeing lots of Mourning Doves this year. A good year for them? Perhaps, like for Blackbirds last year.


hm, I haven't noticed many out here. I've heard a few, certainly don't see many.
When I was little I always thought it was Morning Doves, they always come out in the mornings right? :P


30 May 2009 22:46
Profile WWW

Joined: 09 Nov 2008 13:14
Posts: 157
Location: San Diego, CA
Here's a great link - love the pictures from NGM - I wish I could say they were my backyard birds.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/wallpaper/img/2009/04/apr09wallpaper-21_1280.jpg


01 Jun 2009 23:57
Profile WWW

Joined: 03 Jun 2007 22:01
Posts: 48
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
These are not photos of my backyard birds, but I think you folks will appreciate the links.

First I came across this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjPUfGm1XjU

Quote:
Kitundu is a, sound/visual artist, graphic designer, composer and instrument builder. He uses an interdisciplinary approach to develop compositions-installations-instruments that blur the boundaries between media.


Then I came across his bird blog!!

http://www.kitundu.com/birdlightwind/index.html


07 Jun 2009 15:33
Profile

Joined: 09 Nov 2008 13:14
Posts: 157
Location: San Diego, CA
Ruj wrote:
These are not photos of my backyard birds, but I think you folks will appreciate the links.

First I came across this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjPUfGm1XjU

Quote:
Kitundu is a, sound/visual artist, graphic designer, composer and instrument builder. He uses an interdisciplinary approach to develop compositions-installations-instruments that blur the boundaries between media.


Then I came across his bird blog!!

http://www.kitundu.com/birdlightwind/index.html


absolutely amazing! those instruments are spectacular.

And he likes birds? :P


08 Jun 2009 11:54
Profile WWW

Joined: 05 Feb 2009 17:23
Posts: 94
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
This is not exactly my backyard, but it's quite funny anyway. I saw the Shearwater concert in Gothenburg, in a very small venue. So... when Shearwater eventually get big enough to play the huge arena in Gothenburg, they may well have a couple of Eurasian Eagle-owls watching the show. There is a couple of these birds who have decided that the Ullevi sports and music arena is a perfect place to live:

http://www.gotevent.se/uvar/default.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxBNkfsRLRI


08 Jun 2009 16:18
Profile

Joined: 03 Jun 2007 22:01
Posts: 48
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Cedric wrote:
And he likes birds? :P

Yeah, he's pretty cool. Livin' the dream....what a great combo: music, art, science and birds.


09 Jun 2009 22:27
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2009 01:06
Posts: 11
candy wrote:
This is not exactly my backyard, but it's quite funny anyway. I saw the Shearwater concert in Gothenburg, in a very small venue. So... when Shearwater eventually get big enough to play the huge arena in Gothenburg, they may well have a couple of Eurasian Eagle-owls watching the show. There is a couple of these birds who have decided that the Ullevi sports and music arena is a perfect place to live:

http://www.gotevent.se/uvar/default.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxBNkfsRLRI



That's really funny! And they really put up a webcam... And with the announcement that they will upgrade to a realtime stream if they have eggs...


And, this isn't exactly my backyard either, but after seeing Shearwater at Mallorca I felt inspired to look out for birds on the beach and took a few shots :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38540220@N ... 564881880/

I really don't have any clue about birds, so what is the little one?


10 Jun 2009 16:39
Profile

Joined: 22 Apr 2007 02:33
Posts: 27
Location: austin, texas
special___K wrote:
And, this isn't exactly my backyard either, but after seeing Shearwater at Mallorca I felt inspired to look out for birds on the beach and took a few shots :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38540220@N ... 564881880/

I really don't have any clue about birds, so what is the little one?


Nice photos!
I know very few birds, but I think that is a sparrow.


10 Jun 2009 23:05
Profile
User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2008 15:22
Posts: 245
Location: Germany
yeah, i thought so, too, they look like slim versions of the chubby sparrows that always came begging for french fries at the local mcdonalds, when we were skipping school and hanging there, ten years back. :lol:

_________________
1,000,000 died to make this post


11 Jun 2009 05:36
Profile

Joined: 03 Aug 2004 18:01
Posts: 160
Location: Durham NC
We just moved to a new house just over a week ago, and since then I've seen a small raptor hanging around in the backyard. Today after work I was out filling the bird feeders and noticed there were two of them, either hanging around together or battling for position. I got my camera and a tele lens and took this:

Image

(Here's a big size)

_________________
http://lalitree.com


07 Jul 2009 18:52
Profile WWW

Joined: 09 Nov 2008 13:14
Posts: 157
Location: San Diego, CA
la1itree wrote:
We just moved to a new house just over a week ago, and since then I've seen a small raptor hanging around in the backyard. Today after work I was out filling the bird feeders and noticed there were two of them, either hanging around together or battling for position. I got my camera and a tele lens and took this:

Image

(Here's a big size)


spectacular!
thanks for sharing


07 Jul 2009 20:58
Profile WWW

Joined: 03 Aug 2004 18:01
Posts: 160
Location: Durham NC
Tonight there are at least three of them -- I think there's a nest somewhere on the neighbor's property. They're making a big ol' racket, sounds like giant squeaky dog toys interspersed with more hawk-like shrieks.

_________________
http://lalitree.com


08 Jul 2009 17:59
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2006 14:08
Posts: 272
Location: Eugene, Austin, LA, Bedlam...
As I came here to read about the hawks, two very small, very young sparrows just dropped onto my AC unit. Literally dropped. :shock: I can't get to them for obvious reasons (4th floor, wheelchair, the other window doesn't open, etc.), but only one is chirping--rather frantically, it seems--and they seem a little downy for so late in the year. The other seems ok, but the loud one may be injured. :(

Injured wildlife wrecks me.

Plus, I have a mental picture of nasty little kids knocking them off of the roof or an upper balcony... :cry:

_________________
Heavy is the head that eats the crayons.


08 Jul 2009 20:30
Profile YIM WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.