[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Shearwater Message Board - View topic - Books!

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Books! 

Or...well, Orwell.

22 Sep 2008 20:46

You could even wisen with Mathiasen...

22 Sep 2008 20:49

14 Nov 2008 23:17
Profile WWW

I'm in the middle of right now. So far, I like it a lot - it's got that Sebaldian/Austerian conflation of fiction and autobiography in a mystery that I like a lot. It has photos and charts, which I also like a lot.

I'm thinking of asking her to be part of the science literary event I mentioned before.

18 Nov 2008 20:44
Profile WWW

I'm in the midst of Courtney Humphries' .

Interesting and fun cultural history of the pigeon.

14 Dec 2008 10:45
Profile WWW

I'm reading We Need to Talk About Kevin because I'm subletting and enjoy snooping through other people's libraries. Also a children's novel called I, Coriander in which all the evil characters are readily identifiable because they are physically unattractive and talk about God a lot.

I think I'll turn novelist. It seems to be a nice soft option if you have lots of half-formed ideas about human nature and can't be bothered to do the research.

Recommendations?

16 Dec 2008 12:33

Last night, a native French friend of mine and I found our way into a used book store. He is a voracious reader of trash Sci-Fi when traveling by plane, which he is going to do to get home for the holidays. I asked him if he considered Vonnegut as Sci-Fi (e.g. Slaughterhouse V). I totally freaked when I learned he had never heard of him. Scanning the shelves, I found their only copy, Galapagos. He promptly purchased it and said that he was going to save it for non-flying reading because he saved the good stuff for times other than "in flight". Continuing our conversation, I asked what he thought of Emberto Eco. An interesting discussion of Eco's work and readership led to my Frenchie friend suggesting Jorge Luis Borges. He said that Borges would blow my mind. This evening, I came across Borges's New Yorker contribution, "The Gospel According to Mark". I highly recommend it. Next on my list is a copy of collections of his short stories, Labyrinths.

18 Dec 2008 06:25

I'm just returning from AWP, so I have books on the brain.

s Other Electricities is one of the best books I've read in AGES. (His website is pretty rad, too.)

On the plane back I started 's book of essays, one of which was recently excerpted in 's. (Although, the full essay is world's better.)

and are both excellent poets I'm considering bringing to Real Art Ways.

has a new memoir on her mother's last few weeks. I know this seems like a topic (mother dying of cancer) that could easily sway into sentimentality, but takes a pretty unflinching look at everybody's ugly behaviors and lapses in judgment and, well, love.

There was a really interesting panel on how sound art and "radioization" has changed the form of the personal essay. I can look up references for anyone who's interested.

Oh! And I discovered a journal (new to me) that I like a lot: , which publishes "trans-genre" work. Interesting.

14 Feb 2009 16:13
Profile WWW

Has anyone read House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski? I remember reading that book a few years ago, and it really messed with my head. I was reminded of it because I bought a friend of mine the book for her birthday.

26 Feb 2009 20:42
Profile WWW

Yes, House of Leaves is fun read.

27 Feb 2009 10:12
Profile WWW

So House of Leaves is a fun read that will mess with my head? I'm sold!

A question for fellow readers: If a friend gives you a book and 30-40 pages in you can't stand it, do you feel obligated to finish it just because it was a gift? The book isn't that long, so I feel like I should just plow through it, but then I find 10 other things I would rather read. Any thoughts?

01 Mar 2009 17:27

Sell it on Amazon, then tell the friend it was so good you lent it to someone else and never got it back.

There are too many good books out there to waste time.

03 Mar 2009 07:56

No. I have stopped reading things or listening to things or keeping things in general just because they were a gift. If I like it, I read/listen to/keep it, if not I give it to charity. My friends know this by now, and don't usually give me stuff. They may lend me a book or a cd, but it's always understood that I'm perfectly free to dislike it.

Personally I don't think that you're doing anyone a favour by pretending to like the book. It is possible to appreciate the gesture of the gift but not the gift itself.

03 Mar 2009 15:48

yay! that's what I wanted to hear :)

Storm's comment about giving a book that messed with his head reminded me of a similar situation when a friend of mine convinced me to read Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect. He really wanted someone to talk to about it but couldn't convince anyone to read it because it's more than a little disturbing. But if you like science fiction it is probably worth a read (although I'm not really a huge sci fi fan).

04 Mar 2009 16:43

It certainly is fun to get someone into something without them knowing what lies ahead. At least they get the surprise!

And to answer your question Cruzichick, you shouldn't feel obligated to finish anything. I do much the same thing with lent books and music. Did they like the book they got you? Maybe there's something in it that they like that you haven't gotten to yet?

10 Mar 2009 14:54
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next