Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Marine Life 

I've spent the last two days watching basking sharks. Yesterday they were about a mile out to sea and only visible through binoculars, but today they were only about 300 yards out
Image.

I'm pretty sure I also saw a Minke whale, but I wasn't quick enough with the camera to capture it and be sure.

08 Jun 2008 12:32
Profile WWW

Cool.

So what's the story behind this? Is it part of your job or your studies, or do you just randomly find yourself out to sea? :wink:

08 Jun 2008 15:43
Profile YIM WWW

I live on a small island in the middle of the Irish Sea. It isn't famous for much, except for motorcycle racing, being home to a species of Shearwater, and the visits we get in the Summer months from the worlds' second largest fish.

I've seen the basking sharks from in a kayak before, but never from on land... which means I've never had my camera with me. This picture was taken from behind the 11th century Peel Castle, where I was walking with my parents (hoping to see some of the sharks.) We stayed for about 3 hours watching the water, where there were at least 2 sharks swimming.

There are also frequent sightings of minke whales and occasionally orcas around the coast. I think that I saw a whale's tail lifted above the surface of the sea - and definitely saw some very large splashes, but I'm waiting for somebody from Manx Whale and Dolphin Watch to report it officially. If it wasn't a whale, then it will either have been a Risso's dolphin (fairly common) or one of the sharks breaching. This would be very rare, but does occur occasionally.

08 Jun 2008 16:21
Profile WWW

Short write up at The New Scientist suggesting that seals navigate by stars:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg1 ... -turn.html

18 Jun 2008 07:42
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]