Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Shearwater on RollingStone.com 

This is a review of their Austin show Sunday night. So which do you like better: old or new Shearwater?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... n-20120305

06 Mar 2012 09:25

Um, old or new... how about yes? I mean, Thor and Kim and Jonathan are the artists on the record, so are they the new band? I think the dichotomy is being overstated in the press.

I admit that the touring band lack the appeal of the visual contrast of the old band* and the uniquely sublime moments like the intro to Leviathan or the Kim/Thor glockenspieling on Hidden Lakes. But, having seen them live twice and heard lots of recordings, they are a really cohesive music group, the backing vocals are a huge addition to the arsenal, the new texture really work with the songs, and they're doing justice or better to a wonderful new album that has really connected with me.

If the alternative is no tour and the record disappearing beneath the waves (and then what?), I don't think it's any choice at all.

* I hear that a Mr. Harris in attendance at the Austin show nicknamed the touring band "Jonny and the Meiburgs."

06 Mar 2012 21:37
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]