Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 I'm So Glad (Bonus Track) 

Anyone have the lyrics to this one?

Disappointed that it was left off the album. I think it works better as a closer than Star of the Age. Beautiful stuff.

23 Feb 2012 08:27

Completely agree, a very classic, almost 80s-ish tune, that sounds really beautiful. I hate having to buy extra-tracks that aren't available physically, but this one is really worth it.

24 Feb 2012 08:51

you're such a loud voice, such a strong back
such a hard return of the backhand blows of life
I know that sometimes I'm like a stranger
and I hide myself from everyone
but I'm so glad you reached me
I'm so glad you reached me
I'm so glad

I was a live wire, I was a cold light
but you were piercing my heart with your lucid eye
and I'm so glad you reached me
I'm so glad

24 Feb 2012 18:41
Profile WWW

Thanks for the lyrics!

I feel like there are a lot of bonus tracks that should have made it on different Shearwater records.

So Bad on Rook
Silver Bodies on Golden Archipelago
I'm So Glad on Animal Joy

My itunes library has these songs on the album at precise spots and it sounds seamless, so it's not a total loss.

25 Feb 2012 09:30

My Only Boy is really great, but I can't make it fit into Palo Santo.

Hmm, I can't imagine a cover song fitting into Rook. I tried fitting North Col in there, but it never felt natural.

All the Golden Archipelago b-sides were as good as the album tracks and fit with the album better than their predecessors. But Shearwater's tracklistings are hard to improve on.

I'm So Glad is a wonderful song, and would be a good non-album single IMO. Where would you put it on AJ?

25 Feb 2012 19:28
Profile WWW

I think I'm So Glad works perfectly as the closer.

26 Feb 2012 10:55

Kurmy wrote:
I think I'm So Glad works perfectly as the closer.

Completely agree.

26 Feb 2012 11:20

jkade wrote:
My Only Boy is really great, but I can't make it fit into Palo Santo.

Hmm, I can't imagine a cover song fitting into Rook. I tried fitting North Col in there, but it never felt natural.

All the Golden Archipelago b-sides were as good as the album tracks and fit with the album better than their predecessors. But Shearwater's tracklistings are hard to improve on.

I'm So Glad is a wonderful song, and would be a good non-album single IMO. Where would you put it on AJ?

Well, I usually simplify albums on my itunes library by reducing the tracks to 10 and deleting the rest. So for Animal Joy, I deleted Open Your Houses and Star of the Age and added in I'm So Glad as the final track. I like the way the album transitions from immaculate to Run the Banner Down, and from Believing Makes it Easy to I'm So Glad. But at the same time, if I were making a proper Animal Joy record for everyone to hear, I'd definitely include all 12 tracks, having I'm So Glad as the closer.

Is there an unwritten rule where 12 tracks isn't a good thing? Shearwater and Okkervil seam to love 11 tracks on their albums. It's too uneven for me.

I actually didn't know So Bad was a cover song, I guess it makes sense it wasn't on Rook. Although, Home Life is heavily influenced by a Van Morrison song but I see it as entirely original and what makes the album so great. Regardless, Rook is too short, especially having South Col as an instrumental. I took South Col out and added in So Bad at the 5th spot, moved Lost Boys to the 9th spot and lowered Snow Leopard to the 8th spot. It works well, but I may change it again when I'm bored some day.

26 Feb 2012 14:52

I don't know about a rule, but I often find it hard to listen to albums longer than 45 minutes. Too many songs or too long tends to make the album harder to listen to completely.

As for bonus tracks, I usually try to work them into the main track listing. For Rook, I swapped out South Col and put in North Col instead. That makes it work for me.

Golden Archipelago was harder to work in the songs, but I got this playlist eventually:

1. Meridian
2. Hidden Lakes
3. An Insular Life
4. Anak Rekata
5. God Made Me
6. False Sentinal
7. Black Eyes
8. Landscape at Speed
9. Runners of the Sun
10. Castaways
11. Corridors
12. Silver Bodied
13. Uniforms
14. Missing Islands

For Animal Joy, I just put I'm So Glad at the end.

27 Feb 2012 12:20

Wow, this is incredible. This really is an excellent album.
Bravo, everyone.

01 Mar 2012 23:10
Profile WWW

Maybe reviewers would have found it more appealing, but I'm glad "I'm So Glad" wasn't included at the end of the album. After Hail Mary -> Going Is Song, Snow Leopard -> Hunter's Star, and Uniforms -> Hidden Islands, the "loud closer" -> "soft comedown" thing was verging on a tic. (I love all those songs, but still.) And it just doesn't feel like part of the album to me.

I'd love to see it head up an EP in coming months, though. It's a wonderful song.

01 Mar 2012 23:41
Profile WWW

Yeah, The Going Song and Missing Islands don't work for me as closers either, but "I'm so Glad" is more of a fully developed song than those two.

Anyways this is my dream track lineup for the past 3 albums. Certain trends should be noticeable like having the fast paced short track at the 6 spot and countering that with the slow lullaby track at the 7th spot.

Rook:

1. On the Death of the Waters
2. Rooks
3. Leviathan Bound
4. Home Life
5. So Bad
6. Century Eyes
7. I Was a Cloud
8. The Snow Leopard
9. Lost Boys
10. Hunter's Star

The Golden Archipelago: