Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Columbus show thoughts 

Saw them tonight at the release day show. Some of the clips on youtube had convinced me that this would be a great show, but it was even better than I expected. I couldn't believe how tight the band was after only six shows. There were a number of pistol starts where, without a count in or so much as a pause, they suddenly were going full speed.

I miss Kim and Thor both for their musicianship and their stage presences, but the touring band does well by the name. Castaways and Rooks felt very organic, which I had doubted. The one thing the new band adds is backing vocals. For the Animal Joy songs, it's almost unavoidable. And it sounded really great. Really, really great. I hope that Kim and Thor return to the band, but I hope backing vox continue to be part of their live sound.

The two most impressive songs of the night were Insolence and Pushing the River. Both received riotous applause. You as You Were was too heavy on the kick drum on the beginning, but the mix improved as other instruments came in. All in all, it may have been the best-mixed show I've yet seen.

Jonathan was on fire tonight: awesome and hilarious stage banter and one of the most dynamic performances I've ever seen him give. He seems even more vivid a stage presence than he did before, and that's saying something. Man what a classy guy, too.

I really enjoyed Sharon Van Etten's set, but... it felt like Shearwater should have headlined. Of course, you'd expect a SW forum denizen to say that, but they were just too good to be an opening act.

15 Feb 2012 01:50
Profile WWW

Sounds like a great show. How long was their set?

15 Feb 2012 10:12

wait what, kim is also absent? :shock:

18 Feb 2012 03:16

Yeah. According to JM, this is not permanent, and Thor and Kim are still the band.

Quote:
In rehearsal, does the approach to the live show feel different with these songs?
Oh, dude. It's awesome. It's a different lineup this time, which is strange but also wonderful. Thor (Harris, drums) and Kim (Burke, bass) played on the record, and they're still in the band, but they're sitting out this year. So I have a whole different band except for me.

I really (really) hope they stay. Kim's bass parts on Animal Joy are to die for, and Thor contributed many of the album's most visceral moments. But the touring band are really (really) excellent, and the addition of backing vocals is practically necessary for these songs. Hearing four people shouting "We are yearlings!" is a strange and wonderful new experience at a Shearwater concert.

Some interviews:
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/154186-animal-spirits-an-interview-with-shearwaters-jonathan-meiburg/
http://www.theotherpaper.com/entertainment/music/article_d0211ab8-5332-11e1-bd00-0019bb2963f4.html
http://wesleyanargus.com/2012/02/02/a-body-not-just-a-brain-an-interview-with-shearwaters-jonathan-meiburg/

18 Feb 2012 13:10
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]