Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 New Album - ANIMAL JOY - February 15, 2012 

Oh Jeez...Sub Pop Records is a bit disappointing so far. Why name it "The Loser Ediiton" I know they had big bands like Iron and Wine, but seriously their motto is pretty weak - "We're not the best, but we're pretty good" The page design of their website is just awful too.

Anyways, which T-Shirt are you pre-ordering? I like them both!

On Second thought, i'm probable going to buy them at the concert and just pre-order the album.

15 Jan 2012 12:50

The "Loser Edition" raised my eyebrows too when I saw it on the docket at the marketing meeting....it's an SP tradition that goes waay back to the earliest days of the label...not unlike the Matador tradition of putting "All Rights Reserved, All Wrongs Reversed" on the disc face.

From my perspective, SP has been great to work with thus far...they're serious about their work, but don't take themselves too seriously, which is a good combination. Seriously, though, if they're giving you trouble, lemme know via the 'contact' form on the site.

And yes, there will be some bonus materials released in different ways...trying to work that out at the moment.

JM

17 Jan 2012 14:10
Profile WWW

Very nice, thanks for the info, Jonathan!

Aaaaand another new track: YOU AS YOU WERE!
http://soundcloud.com/subpop/shearwater ... you-were-1

18 Jan 2012 07:00

Awesome song! I'm really curious to see the video. The left-hand piano melody reminds me of "Antarctica" by Midnight Oil.

18 Jan 2012 08:07
Profile WWW

Appreciate the response, Jonathan! Loser it is, then! :wink:
Thanks also for the nice "post pre-order" surprise!

18 Jan 2012 15:01

Apparently pre-orders now come with instant access to five demos from the new album.

...unless of course you pre-ordered already. Argh!

Note: I'm sure this will be fixed, I'm just impatient is all.

18 Jan 2012 16:28
Profile WWW

I answered to the order receipt and asked about that, hope SubPop will send out links for early ordering fans soon. And the coloured vinyl of course! I'll report once I get an response.

18 Jan 2012 17:23

I have a dilemma. Not sure if I should pre-order now, because the items ship on the 14th and the concert I'm going to is on the 21st. I'll probably be able to get everything at the concert before the package arrives at my door. But then again, the Grey T-shirt I want might end up being sold out if I wait for the concert.....WHAT SHOULD I DO!

18 Jan 2012 18:48

mr_magpie wrote:
I have a dilemma. Not sure if I should pre-order now, because the items ship on the 14th and the concert I'm going to is on the 21st. I'll probably be able to get everything at the concert before the package arrives at my door. But then again, the Grey T-shirt I want might end up being sold out if I wait for the concert.....WHAT SHOULD I DO!

Usually pre-orders are shipped before the actual release date, so you might get it on time anyway. With that said, I imagine the band gets a bigger chunk of the proceeds when you buy directly from them, and you'd save money on shipping which could be better spent on beer (or more merch). You're seeing them relatively early in the tour so there should be plenty of shirts at that point, and I'm sure there will be more sold from the Subpop website if they run out on tour. But if you don't pre-order, you won't get the demos through legitimate channels.

So, uh...I don't know. The only reason I'm pre-ordering rather than buying in person is because I'm taking the train to Montreal with a week's worth of clothing and I don't want too much extra junk in my bag on the way home.

Edit: heard back from the Subpop folks and was told to "be patient." I'm no good at that.:(

18 Jan 2012 18:51
Profile WWW

Preordered the vinyl, got the demos. I will buy the CD at my record store... though we're seeing them on release date, so we could get it then. Hmm. Maybe I'll just need to get two copies...

Demos (sorry for spoilers/rubbing it in):

Animal Life
Breaking the Yearlings
Dread Sovereign
You As You Were
Escape from Holy Mountain (a new track!)

The three songs we've heard already are very similar to the final versions aside from different lyrics here and there. (Drums are notably missing the Norse influence :D) They're very listenable on their own. It's unusual and enjoyable to hear Shearwater recordings that don't gleam.

Dread Sovereign is not the rawkout daylight was hoping for or the reggae song I jokingly predicted. It's a thoughtful, gentle shuffle for the verses, with a rise in emotion and intensity for the chorus. First impressions are hard, but I think it's as good as the other songs.

Holy Mountain is an evocative, beautiful song in the vein of the Buteo Buteo epic songs (Sea Robins, The Assassin, Unharmed). Actually, it reminds me a bit of The Moth and the Milky Way, and actually shares a lyric with it. It doesn't fit with the rest of the AJ songs I've heard, though.

Did I mention I'm really excited about this album?

18 Jan 2012 20:31
Profile WWW

The response I got from SubPop:

"Please continue to be patient and you'll get it all... thanks!"

Yeah... they kinda should have sorted that out before putting the pre-order up, since the one ordering right away might be the loyal fans, who now have to wait. -_- Oh well.

19 Jan 2012 01:21

Interesting marketing strategy Sub Pop have; Staggering all this pre-order info and thereby confusing, inconveniencing and ultimately annoying the very people they should be keeping sweet. :?

Oh well, hope I gets me some new SW music at some point.

EDIT: Can I just add that it's a pleasure to be here in this small corner of the internet with some very cool people. Thank you.

19 Jan 2012 02:18

I like the grey shirt with the coyote biting the other one, haha. I'll probably pick one up at a show whenever they hit anywhere near me. Hoping those west coast dates are announced soon... 8)

19 Jan 2012 15:18
Profile WWW

Ended up pre-ordering just the CD. The demos aren't that special, at least I'm getting stickers!

Really excited about the concert and I'm hoping to buy some t-shirts there and a poster would be nice too.

8)

19 Jan 2012 16:02

Yeah, the whole 'self deprecation' marketing doesn't really do it for me, as much as I love SP's roster of bands, even more so with SW on the team. And I hope they treat us early-birds well (seeing as how, we are, for the most part, the biggest fans).

I had ordered the CD, I think I'll cancel and get some kind of package, as I'm getting a little nervous that there are still no West coast tour dates...

20 Jan 2012 11:55
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next