Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 New Album - ANIMAL JOY - February 15, 2012 

I've had the album for about two weeks to review it (and I'm proud to say I'm able to recommend it to altogether 8 million readers in Germany) and can with certainty say that my favourite track is "Dread Sovereign". Love the lyrics, really outstanding. Other favourites are "Insolence", "Run The Banner Down" and still "Breaking The Yearlings".

03 Feb 2012 13:41

Liking this.

03 Feb 2012 13:54
Profile WWW

Stephen, nice to see I'm not alone on this board with my love for Steven Wilson.

I'm looking forward to hearing the full album. I'm really liking the three songs I've heard. The 14th can't come fast enough.

03 Feb 2012 14:12

Finally heard the entire album, I couldn't wait any longer. Patience smatience. I would say it's their best album from top to bottom. Although, Home Life and Hidden Lakes are still my fav Shearwater songs.

Standouts are:

Dread Sovereign
Insolence
Open Your Houses
Believing Makes it Easy

Immaculate (the new Century Eyes) and Run the Banner Down are better than I thought they'd be. Pushing the River reminds me of Radiohead.

Ok need to go back and listen to it some more!

:D

05 Feb 2012 22:11

Aaaand NPR has a First Listen of the album in its entirety starting now.

06 Feb 2012 00:08
Profile WWW

jkade wrote:
Aaaand NPR has a First Listen of the album in its entirety starting now.

Awesomeness. I am in love with this record, even more so than with their others. So excited!!! I'm a runner & many of these songs are fabulous running material. I'm just totally impressed overall.

06 Feb 2012 10:58
Profile WWW

I can't really decide what my favorite song is. It's down to Believing Makes It Easy, Open Your Houses, Insolence, You As You Were... or one of the others.

06 Feb 2012 13:09
Profile WWW

Omg, the vocals at the end of Insolence...

06 Feb 2012 13:26
Profile WWW

I'm finding that my favorite tracks are the most intense one (Breaking the Yearlings) and the most quiet one (Run the Banner Down). There's something to like about all of the songs.

06 Feb 2012 14:44

I'm really liking the new album. Favorite tracks so far are Breaking the Yearlings, Insolence, and Pushing the River. Immaculate, on the other hand, is the only Shearwater song I don't like and my least favorite song off the last 4 albums. Album is definitely worth the pre-order. :D

RobDev wrote:
Stephen, nice to see I'm not alone on this board with my love for Steven Wilson.

I'm here because of Steven Wilson too. 8)

06 Feb 2012 20:48
Profile WWW

Does anyone else think that "Believing Makes it Easy" sounds a little bit like the Cure, Disintegration era, without the electronica element? I know it gets old to constantly be thinking, "oh, wow, this reminds me of ________." In any case, all of my thoughts of Shearwater are hugely complimentary, so...

07 Feb 2012 14:42
Profile WWW

I am definitely liking all of the songs, and am appreciating them more after reading the interview posted earlier. The vocals, instrumentation and everything that SW does so well is superb and I'm enjoying the "new sound." The only thing worrying my is the longevity of this album. With previous records I could play them endlessly and not get tired of them, just hoping they've retained whatever secret ingredient has had such a spell on me in the past.

Insolence is easily my favorite btw.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I really love the intimacy of everything (vocals, drums and harp(?)) on Run the Banner Down.

07 Feb 2012 17:23
Profile WWW

I like to give records like this space, playing them a lot when they come out, then maybe not listening for a week or month, and the going back. It helped me appreciate the new Twilight Sad more than I thought. Thing is, I don't want to stop listening to this one! :D An early favorite of the year (along with the aforementioned TS album). Everything just feels so right, and I like how the album seems to divide down the middle, with all the songs before Insolence having a more poppy, almost danceable feel, while post-Insolence they get really, really dense.

09 Feb 2012 22:01
Profile WWW

Here's how I'd rank the tracks after listening to them for the past week:

1. Insolence (Didn't have much of an opinion when i first heard this song, all I knew was that it would eventually become my favourite song on the album)
2. Believing Makes it Easy (A little pop heavy, but definitely a groovy tune, and works really well lyrically)
3. Dread Sovereign (Probably the catchiest song on the album, intense chorus!)
4. You As You Were (The first part of this song is just stunning I would even say it's the best part of the entire album. I have mixed feelings about how the song changes course after that, although I understand it's probably a natural progression)
5. Breaking the Yearlings (This song feels old now just because it came out a month earlier than everything else, still a killer track)
6. Animal Life (Perfect Opener, lovely way to set everything in motion)
7. Run the Banner Down (Simple soothing song just like I was a Cloud, but definitely top notch when it comes to execution)
8. Immaculate (Hoping this song was more Century Eyes than Corridors and it certainly is. Turned out really great.)
9. Pushing the River (Love the intensity but it's a little too Radiohead for me)
10. Star of the Age ( Solid song, but there isn't those crashing epic moments like you get on Hail Mary or Uniforms as a closing song should have)
11. Open Your Houses (Like the song but I think the album works better without it, but I'm probably alone on this one)

11 Feb 2012 13:39

Received my album (and stickers!)

13 Feb 2012 17:35
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next