Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 New Album - ANIMAL JOY - February 15, 2012 

Sub Pop has a bio up for Shearwater now. It conveniently doubles as a preview of the new album, Animal Joy, which comes out on February 15.

http://www.subpop.com/artists/shearwater
Quote:
It’s been suggested—by fans, detractors, even by the band’s founder—that Shearwater and whatever we call underground/indie/whatever-rock in this part of the century are not an obvious fit. And that’s true. So much of what we hear these days (the lousy stuff, anyway) is willfully insular; Jonathan Meiburg’s songs, by contrast, have constantly tackled bigger questions and been propelled by massive musical ambitions.

We’re in an era in which minimalism and lower-than-low-tech have come in vogue. By contrast, Shearwater’s recordings—the epic “Island Arc” trilogy of Palo Santo, Rook and The Golden Archipelago in particular—have been expansive (some might say bombastic) in a fashion like none of their contemporaries. Meiburg—presumably unfamiliar with the adage, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”—has opted to ditch an approach that paid huge artistic dividends over his last three Matador albums for a record that seems shockingly direct, immediate and intensely personal. He’s no stranger to lush, crafted recordings, but this one sounds like no prior Shearwater incarnation. And please, don’t mistake that for a suggestion this is anyone’s notion of a traditional, singer-songwriter album. “Immaculate” and “Breaking the Yearlings” are inventive and confident in a manner that would humble most new artists, let alone Shearwater’s few veteran peers. “Insolence” is (take your pick) an unsparing bit of self-reflection or an evisceration of someone else; either way, the song covers a staggering amount of sonic territory in the space of six minutes plus. No disrespect whatsoever is intended to Meiburg’s sometimes-Austin neighbors Spoon when I call “Believing Makes It Easy” a song that would rank amongst that band’s finest had they come up with it instead.

Though it’s possibly a wild projection to claim a few years of bouncing through various band lineups, record labels and places of residence have led to a radical reboot, I’m a big believer in citing circumstantial evidence and letting the jury figure it out for themselves. Someone’s bound to label this Shearwater’s transitional album, but to these ears, it sounds like a thrilling artistic rebirth. Just give ’em the fucking Grammy already!

—Gerard Cosloy, Austin, TX (November 2011)

Animal Joy was produced and recorded by Danny Reisch in Austin, Texas, and mixed by Peter Katis (The National, Interpol, Jonsi, Frightened Rabbit) in Bridgeport, Connecticut; sessions took place through most of 2011. The album was mastered by Greg Calbi in NYC.

Principal players were Jonathan Meiburg (vocals, guitar, and piano), Kimberly Burke (upright and electric bass) and Thor Harris (drums)—all members of Shearwater since 1999—along with guest performers Andy Stack (of Wye Oak) on guitar, keyboard, and saxophone, Scott Brackett on keyboards, Cully Symington on additional drums, Sam Lipman on clarinet, and Elaine Barber on harp. No strings or glockenspiels were touched during the making of this album.

09 Nov 2011 16:12
Profile WWW

JM,

Fantastic news! Can't wait for this album to drop. Couple of questions...do you know when you'll be back touring the UK? And will there be any special editions or artwork extras to accompany Animal Joy?

Thx

p.s. Here's the 'Animal Joy' tracklist people...

1. Animal Life
2. Breaking the Yearlings
3. Dread Sovereign
4. You as You Were
5. Insolence
6. Immaculate
7. Open Your Houses (Basilisk)
8. Run the Banner Down
9. Pushing the River
10. Believing Makes It Easy
11. Star of the Age

Last edited by mike333 on 23 Nov 2011 08:39, edited 1 time in total.

10 Nov 2011 02:08

Interesting title! Makes me think of a grinning predator.

10 Nov 2011 12:38

Oh ha, I wasn't far off! Google offers me Stanley Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire: "Animal joy in his being is implicit in all his movements and attitudes."

10 Nov 2011 14:51

If "Dread Sovereign" is anything less than a Century Eyes/Black Eyes-esque stomper I will be terribly disappointed. The title is too bad ass for it not to be!

10 Nov 2011 15:20
Profile WWW

I don't know, it could be reggae...

Seriously, here is probably artwork for the new album. Or outtakes from artwork, dunno. JM posted that he went to American Museum of Natural History with Nicholas Kahn last week.

Some samples (if Facebook allows me to link):

10 Nov 2011 17:16
Profile WWW

Cool, where did you get the tracklist from? Titles sound interesting, maybe more in the vein of earlier Shearwater.

23 Nov 2011 06:57

sea wrote:
Cool, where did you get the tracklist from? Titles sound interesting, maybe more in the vein of earlier Shearwater.

The songs are listed on the Sub Pop site. You have to dig around a little... http://www.subpop.com/releases/shearwat ... animal_joy It'll be a good resource for info.

23 Nov 2011 08:33

mike333 wrote:
sea wrote:

The songs are listed on the Sub Pop site. You have to dig around a little... http://www.subpop.com/releases/shearwat ... animal_joy It'll be a good resource for info.

Ah, you're right, thanks! That's all really exciting, I'm in dire need of some new Shearwater. :lol:

23 Nov 2011 08:43

Big thumbs up for "Basilisk." That's my preemptive favorite track.

25 Nov 2011 00:35
Profile WWW

This seems to be the cover:

Gotta say I would have prefered one of the pictures above in the thread...

05 Dec 2011 17:33

Fun fact: I once saw Kahn's library account open when I used to work at the Rhinebeck library. Must have just missed him.
However, awesome everything: new song, artwork, song names, everything.

05 Dec 2011 22:17
Profile WWW

Loving the new music but...terrible, terrible album cover.

06 Dec 2011 18:09

I agree, some of the other artwork is cool in my opinion. Maybe it's an attempt at giving the new record/direction/sound an identity that is somewhat removed from the old SW.

After listening to Breaking the Yearlings I'm reminded a little of Interpol (a little ironic that they were previously label-mates). Anyway, I like it!

21 Dec 2011 15:17
Profile WWW

mike333 wrote:
Loving the new music but...terrible, terrible album cover.

Yikes. It is a bit Pearl Jam.

23 Dec 2011 07:31
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next