Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Jonathan on Songwriters on Process (talking about new album) 

One of my new favorite sites has a great interview with JM.

Quote:
What have you learned about yourself as a writer by working with others?

I'm desperate for an editor. For this next record, a couple of people are going to fill that role. Somehow in the process of doing the last record, I think I went to a place that not a lot of people could have an emotional connection to. There's something in me that resists talking about myself in songs in any direct way, addressing my own life. There's enough confessional songwriting out there. The concept of romantic love, for example, has been appropriately treated in song. I have nothing to add. This is always what I've thought, and I think that idea led me to a place that was too conceptual and bloodless. For our next record, I really need to attack that, and come up with and idea that's messier and more vital. More hazardous for me, personally.

So writing in a way that connects more with your audience?

You can drive yourself crazy doing that. Jeff Mangum once told me that if it's meaningful to me, it will be meaningful to others like me. Of course, that doesn't guarantee that there are many people like me. Laughs. But I think that if I go after things that are the most emotionally meaningful to me, I'll find common ground with many others.

Much more there.

I was tickled that the interview was suggested by Jenn Wasner of Wye Oak (who also gave a wonderful interview).

17 Apr 2011 11:23
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]