Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Re: The Island Arc performance... 

jkade wrote:
My wife and I flew down from Detroit to see the performance. (Got in a lot of visiting with friends and exploring Austin as well, though.) I talked to people in attendance from Chicago and Los Angeles, and heard talk of people from places further afield. Having previously only seen the band twice in 2010, we hadn't heard too many of the songs performed live in person before.

It was well worth the trip for the concert alone. We got to talk to a lot of interesting people and really revel in the amazing art that this band has made.

I thought the sound was a little rough on the first side or so of Palo Santo, but it didn't hurt things too badly. I thought Seventy Four, Seventy Five was a bit too frenetic, but that seems to be how they've wanted it recently. The title track was a revelation live, and I've wanted to hear Johnny Viola live for ages. Hail, Mary was unquestionably the highlight of the album, though - they performed it in Detroit, but not as perfectly.

Rook was generally excellent. On the Death..., Leviathan and Lost Boys were the highlights for me. I was hoping that they might throw North Col in, but I understand why they didn't.

Golden Archipelago, though, was the real revelation. It seemed to me that Mr. Meiburg's head was still mostly there. I felt throughout the album that the performances bettered the album cuts. Whether that was true or not, it was the feeling that mattered. Corridors had never fully clicked with me, and it really did that night. Everything I loved about the rest of the album was there, and even fuller with emotion and meaning. The final three songs, Uniforms in particular, were the peak of the concert for me.

We feel a bit sad that this chapter had to end, but we're really looking forward to what comes next. In case the band sees this: Best of luck with the new album, and please come visit us when you get back to touring!

Thank you so much for this thorough and thoughtful review of the show. For me, who could not be there, it increases my regret, but at the same time it is a joy to hear of the satisfaction which the show brought. I am especially heartened by your response to TGA, an album I continue to feel is vastly underappreciated. It is demanding to the listener, but so rewarding!

I feel confident the band will see your review, and will take both comfort and encouragement from it. Again, thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful post!

22 Jan 2011 11:27

Palo Santo

Rook

The Golden Archipelago

note: I didn't cut the recordings into individual tracks.

22 Jan 2011 16:06
Profile WWW

Awesome recordings and photos! Thanks a million!

Here are my photos of the concert.

22 Jan 2011 23:45
Profile WWW

You are terrific coldengrey!

That's a beautiful church..

23 Jan 2011 14:31
Profile WWW

Version of recording with tracks split.

I very seriously considered flying out from Detroit for this, but I got an offer to work the weekend and couldn't justify the $500+ on flight and accommodations, plus losing $1000 for two days' work. Of course, the work plans fell through, but so it goes. It didn't make sense financially any way I look it it, really.

23 Jan 2011 15:40
Profile WWW

Thanks soooooo much you all!

23 Jan 2011 17:56

After further listening, I think my opinion of the Palo Santo set was unfair... or maybe the sound back where we were sitting wasn't so good.

But my opinion of TGA has been reconfirmed. "Landscape at Speed" in particular really blows me away in this performance.

BTW, Johnny Viola sounds weird. Is Mr. Meiburg doubletracking his vocal with the studio one? Is somebody in the audience singing along convincingly? Was there a weird echo effect?

24 Jan 2011 22:34
Profile WWW

Holy shit. I thought I'd listened these three albums into the ground, but this recording is still making my pulse accelerate.

Thanks, coldengrey!

25 Jan 2011 13:24

This makes me even sadder...
But at least I can listen to it now!

25 Jan 2011 20:31
Profile WWW

Hey all -

If we went to the trouble of properly mixing and mastering some excerpts from this show, would you buy a copy off bandcamp? If there's sufficient interest then we'll do it, but if not we'll save our money.

JM

25 Jan 2011 23:01
Profile WWW

Jonathan wrote:
Hey all -

If we went to the trouble of properly mixing and mastering some excerpts from this show, would you buy a copy off bandcamp? If there's sufficient interest then we'll do it, but if not we'll save our money.

JM

I would!

25 Jan 2011 23:10
Profile WWW

Jonathan wrote:
Hey all -

JM

I haven't missed an opportunity to throw money at this wonderful "Shearwater" thing yet :)

25 Jan 2011 23:51
Profile WWW

Jonathan wrote:
If we went to the trouble of properly mixing and mastering some excerpts from this show, would you buy a copy off bandcamp?

JM

I'll buy two.

26 Jan 2011 02:38
Profile WWW

Yes!

I was kind of hoping this was the plan from the start.

26 Jan 2011 05:29

Jonathan wrote:
Hey all -

If we went to the trouble of properly mixing and mastering some excerpts from this show, would you buy a copy off bandcamp?

Yessir.

26 Jan 2011 08:57
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next