Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Re: The Island Arc performance... 

PLEASE record and release this show JM!!! :D

07 Dec 2010 08:28

This sounds incredible.

07 Dec 2010 10:26
Profile WWW

wish i had the time and cash to fly over and see this... a recording would be so sweet... probably the only chance to hear "la dame et la licorne" (somewhat) live again.

07 Dec 2010 10:40

Aw jeez. Checking plane ticket prices...

Aw double jeez. It might actually be doable...but I shouldn't...

Any Austinites want to sell me on a weekend down there? It's possible at this point but I'd like to have more to do than just the concert. Things I enjoy include food, nature, and museums.

07 Dec 2010 10:43
Profile WWW

$15 is so affordable! But the other $400 for the trip isn't... Besides, I have school :cry:

07 Dec 2010 17:23
Profile WWW

daylight wrote:
Aw jeez. Checking plane ticket prices...

Aw double jeez. It might actually be doable...but I shouldn't...

Any Austinites want to sell me on a weekend down there? It's possible at this point but I'd like to have more to do than just the concert. Things I enjoy include food, nature, and museums.

Well, I am not an Austinite, but it is a fabulous town. Guaranteed to be warmer than Ontario, with a very lively arts scene, the University of Texas, the LBJ Presidential Library (I know, from Ontario, but for anyone interested in the 1960's and Johnson's larger than life Presidency, it is fascinating), many great restaurants, and even the Texas State Capitol is interesting as an insight into a political culture perhaps best described as "unique". If it's a winter warm spell you could even go swimming at Barton Springs--I've seen it done on January 1. I'm sure the city's web site could give you even more ideas! And no, the city of Austin didn't pay me to write this!

08 Dec 2010 23:13

Thanks for the input! I did some looking into the matter myself and Austin certainly seems like a nice place to spend a weekend. There's quite a vegan/vegetarian presence too, which is good - I'd imagine you wouldn't find that much in the rest of Texas. I expect the giant bat colony under the bridge would be hibernating, but I could always drop in on them and have a look.

Next step: convincing my wife it's a good idea.

09 Dec 2010 08:19
Profile WWW

Dammit guys, that Austin PSA only makes it worse to miss... (especially from my seat here in Ontario. haha)

09 Dec 2010 22:22

daylight wrote:
There's quite a vegan/vegetarian presence too, which is good - I'd imagine you wouldn't find that much in the rest of Texas.

I've been told that there are quite a lot of vegan/vegetarian places in Houston as well. So Texas obviously isn't just about meat :)

13 Dec 2010 04:22

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/ ... sic_source

:D

16 Jan 2011 17:28

My wife and I flew down from Detroit to see the performance. (Got in a lot of visiting with friends and exploring Austin as well, though.) I talked to people in attendance from Chicago and Los Angeles, and heard talk of people from places further afield. Having previously only seen the band twice in 2010, we hadn't heard too many of the songs performed live in person before.

It was well worth the trip for the concert alone. We got to talk to a lot of interesting people and really revel in the amazing art that this band has made.

I thought the sound was a little rough on the first side or so of Palo Santo, but it didn't hurt things too badly. I thought Seventy Four, Seventy Five was a bit too frenetic, but that seems to be how they've wanted it recently. The title track was a revelation live, and I've wanted to hear Johnny Viola live for ages. Hail, Mary was unquestionably the highlight of the album, though - they performed it in Detroit, but not as perfectly.

Rook was generally excellent. On the Death..., Leviathan and Lost Boys were the highlights for me. I was hoping that they might throw North Col in, but I understand why they didn't.

Golden Archipelago, though, was the real revelation. It seemed to me that Mr. Meiburg's head was still mostly there. I felt throughout the album that the performances bettered the album cuts. Whether that was true or not, it was the feeling that mattered. Corridors had never fully clicked with me, and it really did that night. Everything I loved about the rest of the album was there, and even fuller with emotion and meaning. The final three songs, Uniforms in particular, were the peak of the concert for me.

We feel a bit sad that this chapter had to end, but we're really looking forward to what comes next. In case the band sees this: Best of luck with the new album, and please come visit us when you get back to touring!

17 Jan 2011 00:20
Profile WWW

Pictures.

I'll probably post some videos and audio later this week. After I recover from the post-show depression.

18 Jan 2011 04:03
Profile WWW

@jkade and @coldengrey thank you so much for yours review and the amazing pixs and I hope, the post-show depression isn`t to long...

18 Jan 2011 06:40

Found an interesting Amazon list about the Island Arc. Some interesting selections there. I'm not sure what I would add to it...

18 Jan 2011 20:14
Profile WWW

Audio/video from this would be amazing! Shame I'm so far away... :(

19 Jan 2011 22:29
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next