Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 The great and terrible waves (also posted in OR section) 

I have to say, the whole thing is pretty surreal. It's the largest single-incident loss of human life I've seen my few years on this planet, and I'm shaken to the core by the scale of this tragedy. My senses are still in shock, and I haven't really felt this way since 9-11. I am in flux, with this conflicted "everything seems fine around me despite the massive tragedy elsewhere" feeling. I am also incapable of comprehending the individuality and uniqueness of each casualty, then multiplying that vague comprehension by 55K+ people and counting. I'm not aware if I knew anyone involved, but I try and imagine tens of thousands of faces in my thoughts, because it's too easy for my brain to lump them all into a faceless, nameless category of people I never knew, in parts of the globe very far away from me. This, I will always remember.

What a great and terrible world (universe, really) we live in. Life is so precious.

Sri Lanka before:
http://homepage.mac.com/jlgolson/srilanka-before.jpg

and after
http://homepage.mac.com/jlgolson/srilanka-after.jpg

I am looking for a simple and trustworthy way to donate money that will help bring relief. I'm considering selling a bunch of stuff on ebay to help fund my donation.

-h. draper

29 Dec 2004 01:36

It's dreadful. Absolutely dreadful. And it sort of puts everything - including the terrible 9/11 - into perspective, doesn't it?

31 Dec 2004 06:18
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]