Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Kingfisher 

"Former Kingfisher frontman Meiburg co-founded the band with Okkervil River's Will Sheff..."

"Originally conceived as a one-off collaboration between Okkervil River's Will Sheff and Kingfisher's Jonathan Meiburg,..."

"The product of a shotgun-wedding collaboration between Kingfisher's Jonathan Meiburg and Okkervil River's Will Sheff, Shearwater plumbs the depths..."

AND SO ON.

My question is:
Does anyone know anything about this band? Are any recordings available? I always wondered why the information about Kingfisher is present all around the net, but there's absolutely no details, not even a last.fm page or anything.

I'd be very grateful if someone could provide some information.
thanks,
(oh, and dear Shearwater - thanks for planning to come to Poland!)

04 May 2010 03:51

No, but I truly wish I did. It'd be interesting to hear him from way back then! Hopefully there's at least one person here with that level of resourcefulness on this board ...

04 May 2010 13:34
Profile WWW

I think I know just about as much about Shearwater as anybody and I have never heard of a band named "Kingfisher" associated with Jonathan Meiburg. But perhaps there is a gap in my knowledge.

A very, very long time ago, I understand that Jonathan played in a band which went by the name of Whu Gnu. This band self-pressed a record entitled "Naked and Without Teeth". Its style is completely different from the Shearwater we know and love today. All I can think of is that perhaps Kingfisher was considered as a renaming of this earlier band, but that's pure speculation on my part. If Jonathan sees and reads this post, perhaps he will set the record straight.

04 May 2010 21:55

wow, thanks for the info about Whu Gnu, i had no idea about its existence!

05 May 2010 07:23

Could "Kingfisher" just be a strange substitution resulting from electronic translation?

05 May 2010 10:45

felicitywormwood wrote:
Could "Kingfisher" just be a strange substitution resulting from electronic translation?

No, I don't think so at all, because both are mentioned in a same breath. Unless I'm missing you completely, which I don't think I am. My google-fu hasn't turned up anything beyond the fact that the conjunction is definitely there (as propagation, at the very least), but I'm hoping soulseek will be kind as it usually is -- which it has not been yet, turning up a lot of Joanna Newsom, Kingfisher calls a la Kenyan National Parks, banjo solos (!!!) and precious little else.

05 May 2010 17:31
Profile WWW

My Google-fu puts your Google-fu in a hammerlock:

Quote:
"I was playing in a band called Okkervil River and had some songs that wouldn't fit the style of the band," Sheff explains. "Jonathan was playing in a band called Kingfisher, or Fisher King, or Whu Gnu, or Walking Spanish, or the Bowlers, and they had other concerns besides which weepy ode to death to learn next."

Link

Ah, internet. The Bluebeard's chamber where our early efforts are preserved for all time.

05 May 2010 17:45

felicitywormwood wrote:
My Google-fu puts your Google-fu in a hammerlock:

Quote:
"I was playing in a band called Okkervil River and had some songs that wouldn't fit the style of the band," Sheff explains. "Jonathan was playing in a band called Kingfisher, or Fisher King, or Whu Gnu, or Walking Spanish, or the Bowlers, and they had other concerns besides which weepy ode to death to learn next."

Link

Ah, internet. The Bluebeard's chamber where our early efforts are preserved for all time.

Alas! I am defeated, utterly. Long live your google-fu! (At least it doesn't seem to be a translation error. /sniff)

Also, thank you for figuring out wtf. That's a lot of names for one band! (Unless they are all different bands, and Jonathan is just so mystical-magical the writer/world-at-large couldn't figure out which ones he may or may not have been a part of. In which case, we have an entirely different can of worms and I cry mercy now.)

05 May 2010 19:47
Profile WWW

Good investigative journalism, though. Now I'm intrigued! First person to track down this band and upload gets a chapbook of my college poetry.

06 May 2010 04:38

Both Whu Gnu albums are available here, but I'm not sure I want to spend the $20.

06 May 2010 08:06
Profile WWW

I'm pretty sure Jonathan is only on Naked and Without Teeth. Which is also available from iTunes and eMusic. And it's definitely worth a listen.

06 May 2010 11:24
Profile WWW

coldengrey, Jonathan sings on Walking Spanish as well!!!

i downloaded some songs from those albums, and you know what?
they're actually quite good!

i have the impression that some of them have a bit of the Golden
Archipelago vibe, at least musically.

Download 'Goldenrod', 'Ugliness' and 'Trainwrecks' from Walking Spanish
- they could easily be popular Shearwater songs.

Someone has to request some Whu Gnu songs to be played on Shearwater
gigs, btw.

06 May 2010 11:33

Oh, whoops. I totally missed out on that. Thanks for the correction/reccommendation!

I dunno about the requesting Whu Gnu songs at Shearwater gigs though. It's kinda bad form. Like I wouldn't ask/expect Will Sheff to bust out A Makeover at an Okkervil show or Ben Gibbard to play something from All-Time Quarterback at a Death Cab for Cutie gig.

06 May 2010 11:40
Profile WWW

Gibbard plays the Postal Service's songs during his solo shows, though!

i know that there's no chance that Jonathan would play those songs, he never plays songs from the before Palo Santo period, so i'm aware of the fact, that it's not gonna happen.

just thought that it would be so nice.

the more i listen to Trainwrecks, the more i think that it could easily be a Golden Archipelago b-side or something. especially the instrumental part after the 1st verse (i guess).

06 May 2010 12:14

Walking Spanish and Naked & Without Teeth are both available to preview/download on iTunes. I hear JM on both. Both are also better than my college poetry.

06 May 2010 12:34
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next