Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 New York City - Bowery Ballroom 

Tonight! I'm really excited for this show, as it's the first time I'll have seen SW in over a year, and each of the previous times have been some of my favorite concert experiences, even if they were a bit underattended. Hopefully that changes soon!
See you guys there, as I'm going to leave soon to take a train down from upstate.

27 Mar 2010 08:37
Profile WWW

I was there, last night -- my first Shearwater show ever and it was even better than I had hoped. Also enjoyed Hospital Ships and Wye Oak, as they really did a good job of supporting them. That show would have been worth ten times what I had paid. :D

Looked like a decent turnout, to me. I had actually come up from Eastern PA as i wanted to go on a Saturday night vs the Philly show this evening.

28 Mar 2010 09:45

Yeah, there seemed to be a lot of people there, which was great, as it was a nice crowd over all. Except for the weed stench that arose during the 3rd song.
Over all, though, I think they definitely had their 'best NYC Show Ever' last night, and I couldn't have been more impressed with their performance. I've been impressed every time, but this show was just... :shock: I cannot believe how amazing their live performance has gotten in the year or so since I last saw them. It's so much more intense, so much more noise, so much more .... :D In other words, great job, guys!

Also, Thor handed me his stick at the end of the set. Not threw, handed. That made me really happy. :D

28 Mar 2010 12:16
Profile WWW

I saw Thor hand it off to you -- I was on the same side, probably about 15 or 20 feet behind you.

I caught the weed stench, as well - around the same time that I noticed the "No Smoking" sign on the wall (interestingly enough). And I thought the crowd was really great, which is actually a very important part of the show. We did have that one inebriated guy who kept shouting "Shearwater!!!" and pumping his first, but he was pretty harmless.

Last edited by roebeet on 29 Mar 2010 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

28 Mar 2010 15:48

He was up in the front at the end yelling "Thor! I love you Thor!" He was who Jonathan referred to as "Thor's Cheerleading Squad." Thor's seriously the man, though.

Also, Will Sheff was there, just kind of hanging around. I actually talked to him for a second about the subway system, and how out of whack it's been lately. So, yeah, this was a pretty goddamned great concert.

28 Mar 2010 21:32
Profile WWW

Great show. This was my first opportunity to see them live. I am pretty shy, and everyone in the audience and the band was really cool. Thanks Jonathan for signing my LP; And Thor unexpectedly shook my hand. Thanks! :)

Rye Oak and Hospital Ships rocked it. I was elated they had the Rook LP. I have been searching for it everywhere.

Woo-hoo to The Snow Leopard in the encore.

28 Mar 2010 23:39

Storm and Static wrote:
Also, Will Sheff was there, just kind of hanging around. I actually talked to him for a second about the subway system, and how out of whack it's been lately. So, yeah, this was a pretty goddamned great concert.

What did he say to you? Was he just standing in the crowd by himself? Would've expected him to have some sort of backstage pass-type thing thing going...

Also, what's the setlist like for this tour?

29 Mar 2010 05:31

He was just standing around, talking to people. Acting like a normal guy, I guess, just like the rest of us.

And if I had to say about a setlist, and don't get me on the order:
Black Eyes
Meridian
White Waves
Landscape at Speed
Hidden Lakes
An Insular Life
Castaways
God Made Me
Corridors
Uniforms
Seventy-Four, Seventy-Five
Rook
I Was a Cloud
Century Eyes

Encore:
Snow Leopard
Hail, Mary

So, it was a pretty great setlist, even if there was no Leviathan, Bound or Home Life or Red Sea Black Sea. A couple of the songs, like Castaways and An Insular Life, had the drummer from Wye Oak backing them up on snare.

The best four songs were probably White Waves, Uniforms, Hidden Lakes, and Hail, Mary. Even if the crowd started to clap in the middle of White Waves because they thought it was over. :lol:

29 Mar 2010 09:16
Profile WWW

I wrote down the NYC order (had a recorder on me, but it came out un-listenable due to the volume):

01 - Black Eyes
02 - Landscape at Speed
03 - Castaways
04 - Meridian
05 - White Waves
06 - God Made Me
07 - Corridors
08 - Hidden Lakes
09 - An Insular Life
10 - Rooks
11 - Century Eyes
12 - I Was a Cloud
13 - Seventy-Four, Seventy-Five
14 - Uniforms
(Encore)
15 - The Snow Leopard
16 - Hail, Mary

High points, imo: Castaways, White Waves, Century Eyes and The Snow Leopard / Hail, Mary encores. I was totally into it and so was the crowd - it was almost magical at times (seriously).

Wish I had time to stay afterwards, but I wanted to catch my train (which I ended up missing by 2 minutes - ugh). Next time I'll have to try Philly so I don't feel so rushed. :(

29 Mar 2010 11:42

Just for anyone who didn't see JMs post of facebook,

He said something like "Thanks for the best show ever last night."

I wish I had been there :( and to talk with Will.

29 Mar 2010 14:53
Profile WWW

Cedric wrote:

The exact Facebook quote is "Thank you NYC for our best show ever at Bowery...".

I wish I had been there. I would probably have joined "Thor's Cheerleading Squad". :mrgreen:

29 Mar 2010 15:29

"The best show ever at Bowery" comment was something that JM actually talked about that night.

To summarize - right before they played "Rook", he pointed out a little piece of tape on his amp and how it was there since their last Bowery Ballroom gig. The gig didn't go so well and he kept that piece of tape on there as a reminder of that night until such a time that they could "avenge" that show.

The piece of tape then came off and was thrown into the audience. And deservingly so.

29 Mar 2010 18:55

candy wrote:
Cedric wrote:

The exact Facebook quote is "Thank you NYC for our best show ever at Bowery...".
:mrgreen:

Right, I suppose that changes things a bit. I'd read it as the best show ever (happening to be at Bowery). Either way, I'm envious :P

Neat bit about the tape at the show!

29 Mar 2010 19:56
Profile WWW

This photo, taken shortly after their set in NYC, makes me smile. I'm not aware of how the shirtlessness began, but it's a rare look at a sexy, hairy, Fleetwood Mac-ish Shearwater that I could get behind. Figuratively.

29 Mar 2010 22:58
Profile WWW

I guess you haven't seen the photo of Thor dressed in nothing but a helmet and a sword? :shock: :wink:

30 Mar 2010 01:54
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next