Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Atlanta - The EARL 

SW kicked off their N American tour last night in the ATL and it was pretty fantastic. I've been silent on TGA because I felt like one of the few who was not getting into it, but the live show cured me of that (new motto: Shearwater - we'll cure what ails you). They played 6-7 songs from TGA and 3-4 each from PS and Rook. My friend had not heard them before and since SW didn't take the stage until 11:15 or so, she thought she would stay for a couple of songs just to hear this band that I rave about so much - and of course stayed for the whole thing :) This was actually my first SW show with the full band and they really rocked out. The encore was The Snow Leopard (during which JM nailed those high notes despite a full hour of non-stop, no-holds-barred belting) and Nobody with just Jonathan and Kimberly on bass.

The crowd seemed quite large (maybe 100 people?) and was very enthusiastic. During the encore a girl standing in front of me turned to her friend and pointed to her ring finger - for some reason I found that particularly sweet that she was checking out JM's marital status (although it's possible her motives were not at all sweet). All in all a great night and good start to the tour. I envy all of you people who still have their shows to look forward to!

25 Mar 2010 07:01

sounds great, thanks for the report!

25 Mar 2010 07:07

I thought of myself in the same boat that you thought you were in, I've already seen the light. But I'm hoping to catch a live show to truly convince me.

Can't wait for SW to cure me in LA! Thanks for the review

25 Mar 2010 13:41
Profile WWW

cruzichick wrote:
I've been silent on TGA because I felt like one of the few who was not getting into it, but the live show cured me of that (new motto: Shearwater - we'll cure what ails you).

Shearwater cures what ails you has been my motto for years!

Unfortunately, I haven't really had the chance to test TGA's restorative powers and I'm still hoping for the miracle that will allow me to see the show in Portland next month, but I know if it happens all will be well, as it were.

That set sounds fantastic, thanks for sharing (and glad your friend enjoyed it).

25 Mar 2010 15:36
Profile YIM WWW

I can't wait for NYC this saturday!

25 Mar 2010 16:55
Profile WWW

Yes, it was a fantastic show, and exciting to see fans around the stage who I'd never seen before, obviously very knowledgeable about the music. I am with the crowd that TGA just grows and grows on you--the more you listen, the better it gets. Meridian and God Made Me have just stayed and stayed with me. Those of you awaiting the rest of the tour, you are in for a treat!

25 Mar 2010 23:02

I have a confession to make. I've seen them more times live then I own albums. Damn my eyes for not getting the last two albums, or even the expanded PS, yet. Well, that'll soon change. What. A. Show. JM killed, and Wye Oak wasn't bad at all (Jenn's got a firm handshake!). And let me be the first douche to say how nice it was that it was a nonsmoking show...for the elderly in the audience that raised our weeBerg. :lol: I was stunned to the point of being able to ignore the weird, writhing girl in front of me. Great job by all of SW.

25 Mar 2010 23:15

serviette wrote:
And let me be the first douche to say how nice it was that it was a nonsmoking show...for the elderly in the audience that raised our weeBerg. :lol: I was stunned to the point of being able to ignore the weird, writhing girl in front of me.

Hey - that was me! (j/k) Not at all douche-y to love the non-smoking environment. Athens (GA) doesn't allow smoking AT ALL indoors in public venues, so it is still strange to me now that I'm in Atlanta to smell smoke on my clothes. We had dinner out in the dining area then moved in to the club early on to get away from the smoke.

26 Mar 2010 07:58
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]