Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 The Golden Archipelago - your opinion? 

I wish that Anak Rekata had been on the vinyl.

21 Mar 2010 20:59
Profile WWW

I recently discovered Shearwater via WNYC's Soundcheck about a month ago. I LOVE them. They played "Landscape at Speed" on the radio, and I think I even said out loud to myself, "wow, that's beautiful." "An Insular Life" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. It sounds like a monk in love...like, quivering with love. It's really magical. Sometimes I wish the songs were longer, but that doesn't seem to detract from my enjoyment. I love "Rooks," I love most of "Palo Santo." Just beautiful music. I'm seeing them this Saturday in NYC. I can't wait!

23 Mar 2010 20:43
Profile WWW

Now on my 5th listen, but first on vinyl, TGA has finally hit me. I think it has more to do with being home (rather than at my school-time apartment) than with it being on vinyl, but playing it loud as opposed to hearing it on headphones helps a lot too. The beauty is starting to finally sink in.

No favorite individual tracks, but the album as a whole is gorgeous in a different way than previous albums. It took that full step that Rook began to take.

I do also admit, I wish it were longer...

24 Mar 2010 18:37
Profile WWW

Cedric wrote:
Now on my 5th listen, but first on vinyl, TGA has finally hit me. I think it has more to do with being home (rather than at my school-time apartment) than with it being on vinyl, but playing it loud as opposed to hearing it on headphones helps a lot too. The beauty is starting to finally sink in.

No favorite individual tracks, but the album as a whole is gorgeous in a different way than previous albums. It took that full step that Rook began to take.

I do also admit, I wish it were longer...

A nice wish to have! I completely agree about the beauty of the album as a whole.

25 Mar 2010 23:04

I love Jonathan's imagery so much, I think with these last albums he has created some of the loveliest lyrics I've ever heard. I'm reading Blood Meridian right now and have found some similarities in terms of themes and even words used and I was wondering if Shearwater was inspired by Cormac McCarthy at all. He's a such a beautiful writer despite the intense graphic violence in his novels.

27 Mar 2010 14:55
Profile WWW

Now, something for the banjo-lovers: "Landscape at Speed" acoustic!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEHc5pqg67A
How sweet is that?! VERY!!

27 Mar 2010 20:34

sean_lew wrote:
I love Jonathan's imagery so much, I think with these last albums he has created some of the loveliest lyrics I've ever heard. I'm reading Blood Meridian right now and have found some similarities in terms of themes and even words used and I was wondering if Shearwater was inspired by Cormac McCarthy at all. He's a such a beautiful writer despite the intense graphic violence in his novels.

I'm reading this now, too. I'm not sure if I prefer it to my favorites of his, All the Pretty Horses and The Crossing.

28 Mar 2010 12:18
Profile WWW

This is only the second book I've read by Cormac McCarthy but already he's one of my favourite authors. I can't wait to read the border trilogy, is that where you'd recommend going next? The other one I read was the Road which I loved. Blood Meridian is really blowing me away though, I think I might prefer it...

28 Mar 2010 14:02
Profile WWW

Definitely, and read them in order. All the Pretty Horses, then The Crossing, then Cities of the Plain.

28 Mar 2010 21:31
Profile WWW

I was looking for posts on "An Insular Life," one of my favorite songs of all time, so I went snooping around this forum. I don't normally advertise my blog, but I thought I'd share a posting I did about a week after I discovered Shearwater. TGA was the first record I bought. I know there are far more interesting & detailed Shearwater articles, but I think very, very, very few people who know about my blog cared much about this posting. But I figured this was probably a good place to share it.

http://foodwinecello.wordpress.com/2010 ... -the-best/

19 Jun 2010 07:22
Profile WWW

This is probably my favorite album I've heard yet this year.

28 Jun 2010 13:12
Profile WWW

OK. The album is great. I was the guy in Cleveland that you gave the ear plugs to for my friend. I bought evey CD you guys had there. I've been listening to all of them and man have you guys grown! Mostly it's the inclusion of more complexity and more instruments.

I started listening to you guys with your Rook release although I remember hearing whipping boy a while back. The album was mentioned on World Cafe's 10 best of 2008 list.

I really like Rooks, it's haunting. There's a part of me that gravitates toward the more brooding melodies.

I do miss the banjo. I like the way you play with the silence in your music. Golden Archipelago doesn't do this as much. Golden Archipelago sounds almost like sound track music. It feels less intimate than Rook. More like a presentation, I feel like I'm outside looking at what you're showing me. (I'm thinking Castaways compared to, say, Home Life)

But truely, All your CDs have their own Identity. And they're all good. That says alot. You're not dropping clinkers. Everything is well crafted. I've been listening to Palo Santo, Rook, Winged Life and Golden Archipelago equally and only now, after two years am I getting a little worn out on Rook. ; - p

BTW, I heard Black Eyes played during the recap footage they played just before the winter Olympic closing ceremonies. So you guys have obviously impressed a lot of people.

Thank you for the great music!!!

29 Jun 2010 11:56

Storm and Static wrote:
This is probably my favorite album I've heard yet this year.

Right now, it's still probably this. Maybe the new Titus Andronicus or Defiance, Ohio ones, but more likely this one.

17 Jul 2010 16:53
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3