Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How To Get A Hold Of B-Sides, Etc 

Jonathan, I know there are a variety of b-sides and extra tracks from the Palo Santo, Rook, and TGA sessions. Is there a way to purchase these tracks from the band or the label? I would love to have a comprehensive collection of everthing that has been recorded for Palo Santo forward. Please help if you can!

-Brian

01 Feb 2010 01:27

Many of them are available on iTunes.

01 Feb 2010 07:59
Profile WWW

Brian,

All the b-sides I know of for PS are on the Expanded Edition (i.e. the Matador version), and there's one extra track - a cover of the Baby Dee song "Lilacs" - on the LP.

If you want to get super-super obscure, there were a couple of demos on the "Bursera Graveolens" tour EP that didn't make the Expanded Edition, but no new songs.

For Rook, the b-sides were all collected as part of the Snow Leopard EP, I think, which should still be available on Matador. A couple of 'Rook' songs were abandoned, and we've never gone back to them. Probably for the best.

And for TGA, two of the three non-CD tracks appear on the LP. I'm not quite sure where the third one, "Anak Rakata", will appear...probably online in some form.

Three others ("Hedgehog", "Watch and Chain", "Woolgathering") died on the vine. But might come back in some form, someday.

JM

02 Feb 2010 00:02
Profile WWW

I want songs called "Hedgehog" and "Woolgathering." You can even make them entirely different songs. I just really like the titles.

02 Feb 2010 00:44

Thanks Jonathan. I have the deluxe Palo Santo and the Snow Leopard Ep. I guess I am just missing "Lilacs", plus I don't have a record player so are the two extra songs from TGA going to be available for download on itunes at some point?

03 Feb 2010 01:16

toolerawk wrote:
I guess I am just missing "Lilacs"

I think its on iTunes now.

03 Feb 2010 11:59
Profile WWW

toolerawk wrote:
I don't have a record player so are the two extra songs from TGA going to be available for download on itunes at some point?

I asked about it on the Matador Records Blog when it was announced that there would be vinyl-only "bonus" tracks, and was told that the two extra songs *are* included in the mp3 download code that comes with the record. Haven't confirmed this yet myself, obviously, but I have no reason to think they'd give out wrong information.

Personally, I'm pretty unhappy about the situation. I'm a CD buyer. I don't have a convenient record player (the only one I own is in my living room, where I rarely am), and I hate lossy mp3 download-only music (for that matter, I like having the physical product, so I'm not a big fan of lossless FLAC downloads either). So this is essentially Matador Records forcing me to buy the album twice, once to get it in my preferred format, and once to get the tracks they decided (for no clear reason, other than to sell more records) not to include on my preferred format. Format-exclusive "bonus" tracks are bullshit, especially when there's not a good excuse for them like limited space (if it all fits on a record, it would definitely fit on a CD). For just about anyone other than Shearwater, I would just be living without the extra tracks.

Jonathan -- Any chance we'll ever see a CD compiling all of these vinyl-only and download-only tracks?

12 Feb 2010 11:47

I cant speak for anyone related to SW, but I'd guess that you'll be able to find those LP-only tracks in some other format eventually if not soon after the album is released.

Be it on an EP, a digital EP, singles on iTunes, compilation records later etc.

13 Feb 2010 00:03
Profile WWW

arcane93 wrote:
toolerawk wrote:
I don't have a record player so are the two extra songs from TGA going to be available for download on itunes at some point?

I asked about it on the Matador Records Blog when it was announced that there would be vinyl-only "bonus" tracks, and was told that the two extra songs *are* included in the mp3 download code that comes with the record. Haven't confirmed this yet myself, obviously, but I have no reason to think they'd give out wrong information.

Personally, I'm pretty unhappy about the situation. I'm a CD buyer. I don't have a convenient record player (the only one I own is in my living room, where I rarely am), and I hate lossy mp3 download-only music (for that matter, I like having the physical product, so I'm not a big fan of lossless FLAC downloads either). So this is essentially Matador Records forcing me to buy the album twice, once to get it in my preferred format, and once to get the tracks they decided (for no clear reason, other than to sell more records) not to include on my preferred format. Format-exclusive "bonus" tracks are bullshit, especially when there's not a good excuse for them like limited space (if it all fits on a record, it would definitely fit on a CD). For just about anyone other than Shearwater, I would just be living without the extra tracks.

Johnathan addressed this on a different thread:

"After a bunch of considering/wrangling, we’ve decided that there are going to be two different versions of the album, given the different ways it feels to listen to a CD or an LP. The CD version will have one running order, which we selected to be as concise as possible, so that it’s easiest to take in at one sitting. Which, for this record, might be even more important than it was for Rook or PS.

The LP, however, will have two more songs – one, which is wild and elaborate, will be added as a ‘bonus’ track after a lock groove on the 2nd side.

The other will be placed back in the running order of the record. This is the version of the album I prefer, and the song that’s been placed back in the sequence was one of my favorites (and the one our co-producer, John Congleton, liked best of all).

These songs make the LP about 20% longer than the CD."

It sounds like it was an artistic decision rather than a marketing decision. I don't have a record player either, so I don't really know what it means when JM says the different way it feels to listen to a CD or an LP.

13 Feb 2010 09:29

arcane93 wrote:
toolerawk wrote:

Jonathan -- Any chance we'll ever see a CD compiling all of these vinyl-only and download-only tracks?

Maybe it's just me but I don't have a problem with this at all. I normally listen to albums on vinyl at home, or on my iPod. Though I do purchase a lot of CDs, normally they just sit on a shelf after I upload them to my computer. My biggest complaint is "itunes exclusives" where you are forced to purchase the album digitally to get the bonus tracks. I would prefer to have the songs in some type of physical form then digitally only.

13 Feb 2010 09:44

Cedric wrote:
I cant speak for anyone related to SW, but I'd guess that you'll be able to find those LP-only tracks in some other format eventually if not soon after the album is released.

Sure, they're in another format already. As I said, Matador told me that the "LP-only" tracks would be included with the mp3 download that comes with the album. It still means buying the album twice. I'm not counting on them necessarily appearing anywhere else later, as many "bonus" tracks never do.

cruzichick wrote:
(quoting Jonathan) "The other will be placed back in the running order of the record. This is the version of the album I prefer, and the song that’s been placed back in the sequence was one of my favorites (and the one our co-producer, John Congleton, liked best of all)."

Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing this post a while back -- and Jonathan calling the track one of his favorites and saying that it's the version of the album he prefers was one of the big reasons that I decided that I needed it despite having to make another purchase for it. So, ok, artistic decision . . . I don't get the "different way it feels" thing either (and I do have a record player, even if I don't use it much -- other than the inconvenience of having to turn the record over halfway through, I don't really notice a difference), so that doesn't really make it "better" for me.

At least it was apparently Jonathan's decision (and I certainly don't mean to disrespect his artistic license to do as he wants with his work) rather than that of some greedy record exec, for what that's worth, even though I still honestly don't get it. Although I'm not a huge fan of them either, why not do one of those really long pauses that separates the songs from the album and put them after that? Or, hell, do as Yep Roc often does with extras and include a download code with the CD to download digital versions of the extra tracks -- that's really all I'm buying the vinyl for anyway, since I won't be able to listen to the vinyl itself most of the time.

weleavefossils wrote:
Maybe it's just me but I don't have a problem with this at all. I normally listen to albums on vinyl at home, or on my iPod. Though I do purchase a lot of CDs, normally they just sit on a shelf after I upload them to my computer. My biggest complaint is "itunes exclusives" where you are forced to purchase the album digitally to get the bonus tracks. I would prefer to have the songs in some type of physical form then digitally only.

Well, good for you that you listen in that way. :wink: Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that don't have record players, or (as in my case) don't have convenient record players and can't listen that way. And they get left out, if they don't want to make a double purchase.

But yeah, I hate "iTunes exclusives" -- for that matter, I hate iTunes, and refuse to purchase anything from them. Even beyond my strong preference for a physical format -- no DRM on my music, thanks! I don't care who the band is, I won't buy from iTunes for them.

15 Feb 2010 13:23

arcane93 wrote:
Well, good for you that you listen in that way. :wink: Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that don't have record players, or (as in my case) don't have convenient record players and can't listen that way. And they get left out, if they don't want to make a double purchase.

But yeah, I hate "iTunes exclusives" -- for that matter, I hate iTunes, and refuse to purchase anything from them. Even beyond my strong preference for a physical format -- no DRM on my music, thanks! I don't care who the band is, I won't buy from iTunes for them.

I find it just as convenient to put on a record as putting on a CD, if I'm going for convenience I'm grabbing my iPod. I understand it's not for everyone, my main argument was that I would prefer it to be an LP exclusive than a download exclusive. I could easily loose an mp3 file but it's quite difficult to loose a record.

15 Feb 2010 20:55

Jonathan wrote:
And for TGA, two of the three non-CD tracks appear on the LP. I'm not quite sure where the third one, "Anak Rakata", will appear...probably online in some form.

JM

Just checked Amazon MP3, and they have "Anak Renata" (sic?) listed as an exclusive track with a running time of 3:51. Unfortunately, it's "album-only", so I have to drop another 9.99 for an album I've already purchased in two other formats. Awesome!

And False Sentinel is available for separate purchase on the iTMS.

18 Feb 2010 10:10

Cyaneyes wrote:
Just checked Amazon MP3, and they have "Anak Renata" (sic?) listed as an exclusive track with a running time of 3:51. Unfortunately, it's "album-only", so I have to drop another 9.99 for an album I've already purchased in two other formats. Awesome!

And False Sentinel is available for separate purchase on the iTMS.

Silver Bodies is available through eMusic. If somebody doesn't have an account with them, one could use their free trial period to get some songs, and then cancel.

You could also listen here (but no download option)
http://www.folkradio.co.uk/2010/02/shea ... -download/

18 Feb 2010 11:19

All 3 of the "non album" bonus tracks are included with the LP download from Matador. I was pleased to see that even the "amazon exclusive album only" track was included in the download. So I think LP w/download code is the way to go.

18 Feb 2010 20:34
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next