Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Shearwater spearhead Talk Talk revival 

As a relatively recent convert to Shearwater, I always imagined that Jonathan Meiburg probably owned Talk Talk's "Spirit of Eden" (one of the greatest records ever made) and "Laughing Stock." I was very excited, then, to discover that Shearwater occasionally cover "The Rainbow" (hear it, here: http://www.prefixmag.com/news/shearwate ... mp3/18778/). I'd love to know if it is possible to download a copy of it anywhere (legally).

Incidentally, Bon Iver, who was rightly acclaimed in 2008 for his tremendous "For Emma, Forever" album, covered Talk Talk's "I Believe in You" at a recent London show. (See it, here: http://iguessimfloating.blogspot.com/20 ... lks-i.html. The page also has an MP3 which is much better than the video audio.)

Elbow is one of my favorite bands and one of their biggest influences is late-era Talk Talk. During a recent 3 hour BBC radio show hosted by Elbow, they raided the BBC concert archives to play some live Talk Talk (Life's What You Make It/Mirror Man/What Does Caroline Know?) to kick things off. Their singer, Guy Garvey, has some great things to say about the band afterward. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00g85sr The radio show is only available online for another day or two. (Incidentally, any Shearwater fan would love this British band and Garvey is one of the most emotionally honest vocalists you'll ever hear. For starters, try their album "Leaders of the Free World.")

Talk Talk is also a big influence on Doves and both Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson and Robert Plant cite "Laughing Stock" as a favorite. Reportedly Madonna is a fan of "Spirit of Eden." Now, if only Mark Hollis would come out of retirement...

cheers,
Stephen H

01 Jan 2009 17:01

Ok, I've just answered my own question. I see "The Rainbow" is available on one of the 3 shows from 2004 that are now available on iTunes.

cheers,
Stephen H

01 Jan 2009 21:30

"The Rainbow" was also the B-Side to the Rooks 7" vinyl single.

02 Jan 2009 05:26

Sea, your signature makes me smile.

02 Jan 2009 10:42
Profile WWW

Stephen Humphries wrote:
Ok, I've just answered my own question. I see "The Rainbow" is available on one of the 3 shows from 2004 that are now available on iTunes.

cheers,
Stephen H

It's available in the Amazon.com mp3 shop too.

02 Jan 2009 13:10
Profile WWW

Storm and Static wrote:
Sea, your signature makes me smile.

why? :D 'cause you get the reference? ;)

On another note: The performance from the Maxwell's show is a different one from the Rooks B-Side and download. So ones who can't get enough should get both.

02 Jan 2009 16:57

Indeed I do.

03 Jan 2009 18:30
Profile WWW

Oh great I am looking for a good live version of I Believe In You by Bon Iver.

I have never heard of the othes by Elbows, is this mp3 download of Does Caroline KNow and Life's What You Make It ?

If someone can give a link of these 3 songs.

If you want you can ask me for Talk Talk stuff too

03 Apr 2010 12:46
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]