Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 I'm selling my guitar 

Hello all.

Due to my inability to pay my bills, I am selling my best guitar. It's the one you hear on 'Winged Life' on songs like 'My Good Deed' and 'Sealed' and 'St Mary's Walk'.

It is is a 1953 or 54 CF Martin OO-17 acoustic guitar (SN 121025), all-mahogany neck and body, in very good condition. It appears to have had a crack in the back of the body repaired, but it has a soft, warm glow to the finish, and it looks (and feels) loved and respected. It plays beautifully with a comfortable action, and has a lovely, deep, rich sound for a smaller acoustic guitar - fingerpicked notes sing and hum. I love this instrument, and I would not part with it if I didn't really, really need the money.

If you think you or someone you know might be interested, let me know. My firm asking price is $1000 (substantially less than I paid for it), but you'd be responsible for the shipping and insurance, and I'd recommend that you purchase a case as well (it doesn't come with one).

Best, J

03 Aug 2004 01:11
Profile WWW

Hi Jonathan, I saw you guys in Chapel Hill a few months ago and instantly became a fan of your music. I bought a CD from you that night and absolutely love it.

I'm sad to see you have to sell your prized instruments--are you sure there's nothing we can do to help? I'd gladly put $20 toward a 'save Jonathan's guitar fund', attend a benefit show (if I lived anywhere near you), or buy even more stuff from you (special limited edition CDr? I'm brainstorming here :wink: ).

03 Aug 2004 19:59
Profile WWW

//I'd gladly put $20 toward a 'save Jonathan's guitar fund'//

That's what I'm talking about. SW and OR are my favorite bands. I'd do anything for them.

http://www.myspace.com/hoaxfuneral
http://www.hoaxfuneral.com

03 Aug 2004 20:07
Profile WWW

i'd be willing to cut back on life expenses and throw down half a paycheck ($400?) to help out. it makes me unbelievably sad to think of my favourite musicians being unable to make ends meet, not to mention the intense pain of one of them losing his favourite instrument.

so give us a heads-up, yeah?

love.

03 Aug 2004 20:15

I know pride is a very honorable thing, but Jon, we love you guys and we want to help. Please let us.

03 Aug 2004 20:18
Profile WWW

keep the guitar. sell the car.

hook up with hodre the tour junkie (and his wheels).

do an abbreviated shearwater emergency tour.

stay drunk. write an album.

when you get back to texas, have howard drop you off at the echo lab. have matteo put ya to work for studio time after hours. record album with your favorite guitar.

you're an excellent singer/songwriter. i know you have it in you, bro.

-paul

03 Aug 2004 20:42

I feel kind of like a jerk inquiring about the guitar after all the nice things others have said, but this sounds like a really good deal :P

I have a few quick questions -

-Is the finish original? Has it been refinished at all?

-What about the hardware? All original or replaced?

-Also, do you have any pictures or sound clips (without producing) I could see/listen to? I'm curious about pictures of the crack. Cracks in guitars make me scared.

-And finally, if you were a full time college student with 3 grand sitting around in a bank - but without a car - would you buy this guitar for 1000 dollars, knowing it how you do? ;)

Thanks for any answers,
Stephen Haney

04 Aug 2004 11:47
You need to contact either Elderly Instruments (www.elderly.com) or Gruhn's Guitars (www.gruhn.com) before you sell it for $1000. It should be worth more than that, I think.

04 Aug 2004 12:39

Yes... Jonathan, contact (www.elderly.com) or (www.gruhn.com) first. According to my friend..."Depending on the condition he could get probably anywhere from $2000 to $6000 for it. He would be shortchanging himself if he let it go for $1000."

04 Aug 2004 13:06
Profile WWW

haven't heard that town's name in a while.
i saw the knitters there in 99 or 2000. they closed with a great country version of "born to be wild".
i use to live in sebastopol back then.

-paul

04 Aug 2004 17:47
coolness, you see em at the mystic or the phoenix?

04 Aug 2004 17:53

04 Aug 2004 17:54
the club that had rich red curtains behind the stage, i believe.

i think the mekons opened for 'em.

yea, i lived in downtown sebastopol.

lil story. tom waits lives in a neighboring town. he use to (might still) take yoga classes a block from my house. on my walk to work in the morning, i would pass people on their way to the yoga center. one morning, tom moust've been late for class because he was in a rush and totally sideswiped me. grumbled without apology and continued his hurried pursuit to nirvana or whatever. tom was sorta a fixture in town. saw him regularly and a coworker of mine was dating his daughter. i have a few like-minded stories about tom.

but nevermind that and close your eyes. now, imagine tom waits taking yoga classes in a predominantly hippy community in northern california.

04 Aug 2004 18:19
i sware.

04 Aug 2004 18:21

it was probably the mystic.. that would make sense, the phoenix is more punker kiddies with the occasional rap show.

04 Aug 2004 18:23
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next